11

The nurse said I had to stay in for three more days until I was released. I had called my friend John to watch over Philip while I was still in the hospital. He worked at home so he wouldn't have to go out of his way to help. He was supposed to pick Philip up in an about an hour or so, currently, he was sleeping with no signs of waking up for a while.

Right now I was laying down on my bed. Jefferson had to get up early for a meeting tomorrow so he had to leave. That left me alone except for the nurses that would check up on me every so often and Philip who was sleeping in my arms.

I figured that I should call James just to let him know that I was alright. As soon as I called him he picked up.

"Hey Alex. Jefferson told me that you were in the hospital but he didn't give any details, are you alright?" I could hear the concern in his voice.

"I'm fine, I'll be released in three days."

"Are you sure Alex? What happened I know you're strong but I want to know."

"Well I was laying on the sidewalk, turns out I had broken my elbow from the fall, and someone came up to me and started to attack me. I fought back a little but Jefferson came at the last second and scared them away."

"Alex, are you sure your alright? That sounds horrible. I'll come after work tomorrow and check on you ok? Is your son injured?"

I hesitated thinking of the scratch on Philip's face and how it hurt to look at it.

"He's fine. It wasn't too bad I'm just a bit scratched up. Nothing to worry about."

I was halfway sure James saw right through me the entire time but I didn't want him to worry about me.

"Listen, if you need anything, I'm always here for you."

"Thanks, it really means a lot to me, but I think I'm fine at the moment"

"I'm just glad you're ok. I have a bit of work to catch up on right now but I promise I'll come and visit you later on."

"Bye"

"See you tomorrow"

I heard the phone click and I shoved it back into my pocket

«««««««««««««««««

I heard a soft knock on the door which tugged me out of my daydreaming.

"Come in." I said in a fairly loud voice

I saw John walk into the room and gasp as he saw me.

"Alex oh my gosh when you told me you needed me to take care of Philip because you were in the hospital I had no idea it was this bad!"

"I guess that's my lesson for going out after dark."

He sat down at the edge of my bed quickly looking up and down my body for injuries.

"Oh, Alex..." He said so quietly it might as well been a whisper "What did they do to you?"

"It was night time and I fell and dropped a glass jar" I pointed at my broken elbow "That's how I got this. Then a strange man came and kicked me, I was knocked to the side and a shard of glass caught my arm." I pointed to the bandage on my side. "That's were that came from. I held him back for a bit then someone saved me."

"Did you get their name"

I shook my head.

"I wasn't fully conscious but it's nice to know there is still some good left in the world."

I felt bad for lying to John but if I told him it was Jefferson then I would have to go into detail, and that detail included the horrific things he said about Philip. Which I didn't want to relive.

"May I hold Philip?"

I nodded and gave Philip, who was still sleeping, to John. I watched as he cradled him and I knew that he would do a great job in the next few days.