12

I woke up to the sun filtering in through the blinds. Looking at my right I saw a small alarm clock that read 9:00. I rubbed my head cursing myself for sleeping in so late. I climbed off my bed and stood up just to be greeted by a sharp pain in my side where the person had kicked me.

I gripped the side of my bed for support then looked around the room to see if something could be used for support. I saw a crutch by the door, a nurse probably brought it in sometime during the night. I reached out for it but still missed by a couple of feet. I grunted and tried to use the wall for support.

Once I had my crutch I was determined to find something to eat. The nurses would probably bring me something if I asked, but I liked to do things on my own. My guess was that the cafeteria would be downstairs, just to make it simple for patients. I made my way down the sterile looking hallways until I found a sign pointing to an elevator. Hobbling towards the elevator it came to me that once I got down downstairs I had no idea where the cafeteria would be. I decided that I would deal with that when I got down there.

That problem seemed to come sooner than I thought because there I was, downstairs lost in the same sterile, generic hallways as upstairs. I wandered aimlessly around the halls until I found a tired looking nurse that had probably been on the night shift.

"Excuse me, ma'am."

She turned around looking at me with her brown eyes underlined with bags.

"Sir, shouldn't you be in your room?"

"Well yes, but I was hungry and I didn't want to spend all day in bed so I decided to go get breakfast by myself but I'm lost."

She yawned and pointing to a hallway down to the right.

"Its that way but better get there fast, breakfast ends at ten."

"Thanks"

With new excitement, I hurried down the hall hoping I wouldn't miss it after I spent all this time trying to get there.

It didn't take long for me to reach the cafeteria but my side hand started to hurt like a razor had been dug into it.

I gritted my teeth as I got into the dwindling line. I grabbed a piece of toast and an apple and hobbled to the register. Of course, the food was overpriced but it wasn't like I had any other option, plus it was nothing compared to the medical bills I have now the I'm here.

I was just finishing up when a nurse walked up to my table.

"Are you Alexander?"

"Yes ma'am"

"You have a visitor, and next time you want to walk about make sure to call someone to let us know where you went."

She helped me up and we began the long trek back to my room, which turned out to be a lot shorter than coming down since she knew where she was going.

As she opened the door I saw my group of friends standing there waiting for me along with Philip who was being held by John.