6

Jefferson and I walked into the supermarket, it was one of those small chains markets that somehow always have people fighting and a handful of tired parents that want nothing more than to go home and lie down on their couch.

He grabbed a basket and walked over to the isle with a large sign saying various items that a small child would need.

He stood stumped at the shelf of a collection of a million different types and brands of containers of baby food.

"So what does he eat?"

"Just about anything, he's not very picky"

Jefferson held the basket right below the shelf and pushed a hodgepodge of everything down into it.

"Wait no you can't buy that stuff it costs an insane amount" I say as I grab the name brand shoving it haphazardly back onto the shelf

"Now how am I supposed to what to buy here, it's your kid."

"Well not the expensive stuff obviously"

"Well forgive me for not knowing much about kids as I happen to be single"

"Don't you have a whole bunch of younger siblings?"

"What makes you think I took care of them. That's a maids job not mine"

"Whatever just grab the cheap stuff"

"Isn't that not very good for a kid?"

"Does it look like it matters right now?"

"Alright, Hamilton but I think the kid needs some decent stuff." He said pushing the expensive stuff back into the basket

"How am I suppose to pay you back for all of this?"

"You're not" He turned to me. "Look I don't particularly like you but believe it or not I don't want you two to starve"

"Well." I hesitated. "Thanks"

He started heading off to a random isle with his stupid pace. I jogged up beside him as we entered the produce section.

"Need anything else?" He looked at me.

"Not really."

"So I'm guessing everything?"

"No I mean I have money that I can buy my own groceries with"

He snorted "Alright so I'm just going to grab a bit of everything. Go grab some ice cream, I need some for later on."

I gave him an odd look before going to the frozen food aisle. The thing was I was use to being able to get myself out of my own problems. That's what I had been doing my entire life, and well having Jefferson doing this for me was like a whole different world.

I was the one to pull myself out of the Caribbean. I got the scholarship, I got the degree. I guess it was ok to have a helping hand every once in a while.

I quickly grabbed the ice cream not wanting to keep Jefferson waiting. I didn't really know what flavor he wanted so I just grabbed vanilla. I mean you can't go wrong with that one.

He met me on my way walking back with the entire basket filled with everything from cereal to produce.

He gave me one of those stupid smirks.

"Jefferson you really didn't have to get all of that."

"And let you starve, yeah right."

"It's just that's going to be expensive and I don't want to waste your money."

"Well suck it up Hamilton someone needs to run the tax branch and I don't think starving yourself will lead to quality work."

I just rolled my eyes and started to walk to the register.

The lady at the register started ringing up the baby food first smiling at Philip.

"Is that y'all twos son?" She asked with a thick southern accent. Even though we were in New York.

Jefferson's face drained of color so much I thought the man was going to pass out.

"Oh no mam he's just a coworker but he's my son yes."

She blushes clearly embarrassed.
"Oh, I'm sorry sir."
She glanced at the label on the baby container. "This is brand you want to get, you know how those store brand ones aren't as great, they say they're the same but tell me that again when you watch your kid try both of them." she said shaking her head.

I internally heard the 'I told you so' before I even heard Jefferson whisper it in my ear.