Epilogue

As I stood there, admiring Abby and Michael, I felt two toned arms snake around my waist and pull me close to a hard chest. A little yelp escaped my lips but I relaxed, smiling when Ethan’s familiar cologne washed over me.

I turned in his arms to face him. His arms tightened around me as he pulled me closer to him. His hair was messier now; just the way I liked it. The first button on his shirt was undone and his tie was now hanging loose around his neck. He leaned down to kiss me. My hands cupped his face; my finger tracing his sharp jaw line. His hands slowly moved from the small of my back to the sides of my waist. I smiled on his lips and pulled away.

“Where’s Erica?” he asked, looking around.

“She is dancing with a guy,” I said with a smile. Ethan raised his eyebrows and I nodded. “I know. Surprising, isn’t it?”

He let out a chuckle.

I turned to face Abby and Michael again. They were busy talking and laughing while the song continued playing.

Ethan rested his chin on my shoulder. Our cheeks were touching and I felt little tingles rise inside of me. I looked at him to meet his eyes and felt my insides clench with glee as his eyes melted into mine. He leaned forward and pressed his lips to my forehead. I closed my eyes, savoring the moment. We stood liked that for a while before I faced Abby and Michael.

“They look adorable, don’t they?” I asked, sighing dreamily.

He scoffed mockingly. “We look adorable, too.”

I laughed and nodded.

“He stood up and turned me around. “Come with me.”

“What? Where?” I asked as he clasped my hand in his.

“Just come,” he said and started tugging me along. We entered the dark hallway; he pulled me forward and placed his hands on my eyes.

“Ethan, what are you doing?” I questioned. “I’m going to trip and fall.”

“No, you’re not,” he said. “I’m here.”

While we continued bickering, he kept guiding me forward. I heard a door open and cool air hit me, making me shiver. He made me climb down a few steps and then I felt my heels sinking into grass. We were outside of the school.

“Where are we going?” I whined.

“Just a few more steps,” he urged.

I sighed and continued walking and then, we finally stopped. He removed his hands from my eyes; my eyes took a while to adjust to the surroundings. I was standing in front a lighted tree; yellow string lights were hanging off from the tree which created a golden hue around it. I looked around to see a stereo near the stump of the tree. I looked back at Ethan, who was observing my face steadily with his hands in his pockets, with curiosity.

“What is this?” I asked slowly.

He didn’t answer, just smiled and reached forward to turn the stereo on. A soft beat started playing and my mind instantly registered the song.

Kiss Me. The first song we danced together on.

A smile lit up my face just like the tree in front of me. He stood in front of me and outstretched his hand. I placed my hand in his without hesitation while he placed his other hand on my waist and pulled me close to him. Ed Sheeran’s soothing voice started singing and I began to relax.

We moved around gracefully and he occasionally twirled me around. The smile never left my lips and my eyes never left his as we danced under the lighted tree. The song slowly descended and faded away.

“Was that special enough?” he whispered in my ear.

I smiled and wrapped my arms around his neck. He lifted me and twirled me around, my feet sweeping off the ground. When he put me down, I reached up and kissed him.

“I love you, Ethan,” I murmured on his lips.

“I love you, too,” he whispered like it was our little secret to keep.

PLEASE CONTINUE READING FOR MY LAST AUTHOR'S NOTE