Chapter 6

Could you pick me up? I have some issues with transport today. X -Ash

I hit the send button and waited for Erica to reply. Walking over to my dressing table, I felt my phone buzz and quickly unlocked it to see the reply.

Yeah, sure! See you in 10. X - Erica

I sighed with relief; all I had to do now was get out of my house without facing my mom.

Last night, mom came in my room to get something and she freaked out when she saw me. She tried talking to me but I just pretended to be asleep. After waiting for a while, she kissed my forehead and left the room.

I grabbed my handbag and walked down the stairs. Reaching for the handle on the door, I quietly turned it.

"Ashley," I heard my mom say protectively.

I groaned loudly and let go of the door, turning to face my mother. She walked towards me; her heels leaving a loud echo in the silent room every time she took a step.

"Ashley," she said softly, taking my hands in hers. I pulled away and glared at her.

She sighed, closing her eyes. "Sweetie, please just listen to me. I'll explain everything."

I stood there in front of her calmly. "You better hurry up because Erica will be here any minute."

She gave me a sad look but continued.

"Your dad," she began. "was here to come and check on us. Honey, everything you said about him is not true, your dad used to visit us regularly when you were young but we started moving around and he found a woman, got married and started moving on in his life. That's why you never got to see him around, he does care about us, about you. Just because things didn't work out between us doesn't mean he doesn't care about you. You're his little girl."

I gave her a stern look. "If I was his little girl he would have at least told me about his marriage and tried to visit us more often."

She blinked. "H-he did invite us but I didn't want you to attend his marriage and see him with another woman. You were not the only reason; I wouldn't have been able to witness that myself."

I felt my expression soften. Sighing, I said, "I'm sorry mom, it's just that seeing you with dad after so many years was just...weird. Especially after what happened."

"I understand sweetie," she said softly. "And I'm sorry about, um, slapping you. It was just absolutely stupid."

"It's alright mom," I said with a sigh.

I felt my phone buzz in my pocket and instantly knew that Erica was outside, waiting for me.

"Mom, I have to go, I think Erica is here," I told her, adjusting my bag on my shoulder.

"I would have dropped you today, you didn't have to ask Erica to come and get you."

I gave her a guilty smile. "I didn't want to face you this morning."

Nodding, she pulled me in for a hug. I hugged her back.

*

"You what?" Erica practically yelled into my ear.

"Look at the road!" I exclaimed after noticing Erica's eyes on me.

"Fine! Now will you tell me everything?" she asked, emphasizing on the 'everything'

"Calm down! I just spent the day with your brother! It was nothing," I said, shrugging my shoulders.

"Sure, it was nothing," she replied sarcastically.