Chapter 39

“He did that for you?” mom gushed. “That is so sweet! I wish I had had an amazing proposal to prom.”

“How did your date ask you?” I asked, adjusting my headphones.

“It was not special enough for me to remember,” she said with a laugh.

“Do you even remember the guy you went with?” I asked, raising my eyebrows.

“Of course I do,” she said with an eye roll. “So, what are you going to wear?”

“I don’t know yet,” I responded. “Abby wanted to go shopping for our dresses today; hopefully I’ll find something good.”

“When is your prom?” she asked.

“Tomorrow.”

“Tomorrow?!” she exclaimed, causing me to cringe. “Who buys a prom dress a day before? Do you know how expensive they’ll be now? Not just that, you won’t even find a good dress in one day!”

“We didn’t have time before,” I said. “The three of us were not free on the same day. It’s okay, Abby’s been going almost every day. She said she’s found some good boutiques with beautiful dresses at reasonable rates.”

That seemed to calm her down. I disliked how she trusted Abby much more than me when it came to fashion.

“Shopping for a prom dress is hectic,” she stated.

“Ashley! Jared! Lunch is on the table!” I heard Hailey call out.

“I have to go for lunch now and then I’ll be leaving to go get my dress,” I said. “I’ll call you once I come back; I want to show you the dress.”

“I’m not free tonight, I’ve got a meeting.” She let out a puff of air and asked, “Tomorrow?”

“I’m not sure if I’ll have time tomorrow but I’ll try to call you,” I responded.

“Okay. Take lots of pictures and send them to me,” she instructed.

Replying an ‘okay’, I disconnected the call and headed down for dinner.

*

Come on, Ash. Pleaseeeee tell me what the color of your dress is.

Please. Please.*puppy dog eyes*

Ashhhh! I gifted you a puppy.

I just want to know so I can match my tie with your dress!

At least tell me so I can get you a matching corsage.

I should’ve known the puppy wouldn’t have been enough.

For the past hour, Ethan has been bugging me. I told him I got a dress 2 days ago even though I didn’t and now, he won’t stop bugging me. My phone vibrated in my hand while I waited for Abby to come out of the changing room. I picked it up, sighing in frustration.

“What, Ethan?”

“Just tell me what the color of your dress is and I’ll stop bothering you,” he said quickly.

“No,” I responded.

“But why?” he whined.

“Is it completely necessary for your tie to match my dress?” I questioned.

“Yes, it is,” he said sternly. “Just like it is completely necessary for you to always eat the other half of my sandwich.”

“I don’t do that all the time!” I protested.