Chapter 30

I felt tears forming in my eyes as I tried to swallow the huge lump in my throat. I bit the insides of my lips to stop them from trembling and sat on the corner of his bed.

How could he just say that and walk away? Did he really not trust me at all? Even after I told him that I had no idea as to what happened last night? I get it; I understand that he dislikes Austin but how can he even think that I would let Austin cross his limits?

I took in a deep breath to compose myself and when I exhaled; along with my breath, tears came rushing out too. I buried my face in my hands and let all the frustration pour out.

I heard a knock and my eyes widened a fraction before I hastily wiped away the tears and sniffed.

Was it Ethan? Was he back?

I cleared my throat before softly asking the person on the other side of the door to come in. The door opened, revealing Erica. Her eyes widened when her eyes landed on my face.

“Ash?” she said, alarmed. She walked towards me and sat down. “What’s wrong?”

Her question made tears roll down my cheeks. Her eyes widened again. Helplessly, she did the only thing I needed. She hugged me. I hugged her back, my hand forming into fists as I tried to push away everything that Ethan had said.

But I couldn’t.

Crying too hard, I found myself gasping for air.

“Ash, Ash, relax,” Erica instructed, pulling away. “Calm down. I’ll get you water, okay?”

I shut my eyes and did as she had instructed. I felt the bed dip as she sat back and handed me a glass of water. I emptied the glass and faced her, wiping at my tear-stained cheek.

“Better?” she asked softly.

I nodded.

“Do you want to talk about what’s wrong?” she questioned, her eyes scanning my face with concern.

“I don’t know,” I replied honestly.

“Okay,” she said, trying to think of what to say next. “Did-did Ethan do something?” she asked, cautiously.

Her question was answered by my silence.

“That ass!” she exclaimed angrily. “Who does he think he is? He has no rights to make my best friend cry! Where is he? He’s going to witness a side of me that I know he prefers to not.”

“No,” I said quickly. “Don’t say anything to him. Not until I figure everything out.”

“What do you mean?” she asked, her anger subsiding. “What happened, Ash?”

I sighed and recalled the events from last night and told her the way Ethan reacted to it.

“You don’t know what happened after he gave you the drink?” she asked slowly. “At all?”

I nodded.

“Which means he spiked it?” she inquired.

“It seems like the only possible explanation, doesn’t it?” I asked, wishing that it wasn’t the only possible explanation.

“But why did Ethan react like that?” He should’ve been sensible enough to talk to you,” she said, a scowl appearing on her face.

“I don’t know,” I replied helplessly.

“I think it’s just the anger talking,” she said.

“Everyone says that you should never forget what someone says when they’re angry because that’s when the truth spills out,” I told her softly.