Chapter 26

Satisfied with my messy fishtail braid, I rechecked the closet and drawers to make sure I didn’t forget anything. I stared at my suitcases and sighed. After school, I would come back here, take my things and then go back home. Tying the laces of my adorable shoes, I walked out of the room, shutting the door behind me. I halted before going down the stairs; should I go to Ethan’s room to meet him?

After debating with myself for a minute, I shook my head and walked down the stairs. I did not want to be one of the desperate and clingy girlfriend’s.

I entered the kitchen, smiling. Erica was munching away on cereals while Mrs. Wilson was cooking and Mr. Wilson was busy browsing through the channels on the television.

“Morning,” I said brightly and sat down next to Erica.

“Good morning, dear,” Mrs. Wilson chirped.

I grinned at her as she prepared a plate of bacon strips and scrambled eggs for me. I found myself staring at the stairs often. Erica noticed this and gave me a confused look.

“What’s up with you?” she asked with a mouthful of eggs.

“Huh?” I questioned blankly, ripping my gaze from the stairs.

“I heard your date was a disaster.” she asked, lowering her voice.

My eyebrows knit in confusion. “No. Who said so?”

She shrugged. “I’m just assuming. After all, you went out with my brother. I bet it sucked.”

“No, it did not,” I replied, rolling my eyes.

“Erica, is Ethan still sleeping?” Mrs. Wilson interrupted. “Could you go wake him up?”

Erica took her time to swallow her eggs and reply, making me curious. “He’s not at home.”

“He isn’t?” Mrs. Wilson asked, surprised.

She nodded. “He went somewhere.”

“That’s odd,” Mrs. Wilson commented.

Erica just gave her a shrug.

It was odd. I felt questions pop in my brain. Was he trying to avoid me? Does he regret what happened between us last night?

But he didn’t show any signs on the way back home. We just walked back in a comfortable silence with few exchanges. He even wrapped his leather jacket around me the way guys did in movies. Speaking of which, his jacket was way too intoxicating. His cologne, his stupidly breathtaking cologne refused to get off me.

“Who cares?” Erica said, snapping me out of my thoughts. “At least he won’t be yelling at us to hurry up.”

Mrs. Wilson chuckled.

I let my mind wander again. How am I supposed to tell Erica about me and Ethan? She would freak out. But then again, she was the one who encouraged me to go on the date. I mentally groaned with annoyance. This was much harder than I thought it would be.

“We should leave now,” Erica said.

I glanced at my watch and nodded. She grabbed her bag and I grabbed mine and we both headed towards the door, shouting out goodbyes to Mr. and Mrs. Wilson.

“Hey Erica,” I started as I sat in the car.

“Yeah?” she asked, roaring the engine to life.

“Um-nothing,” I finished lamely.

“Okay?” she said unsure.

“Did you talk to Jared?” she asked.

I groaned. “Why did you have to remind me of that?”