Chapter 25

We silently walked down the quiet alley while holding hands and slowly swinging them back and forth. The streetlights formed long, stretched shadows in front of us and moved forward at the same pace we did.

“So, when you said ‘to finish our date,’” he whispered. “Did you mean walking like creeps?”

“Walking like creeps?” I questioned, raising one eyebrow. “I thought this was romantic.”

He chuckled. “Right, of course it is.”

“Besides, shouldn’t you be the one planning what we should be doing?” I asked.

“Yeah, I tried and you saw how that turned out to be,” he said, shrugging.

I laughed loudly. “I really did have fun, Ethan.”

“Right,” he muttered.

I chuckled, rubbing my thumb over his hand.

“Ethan?”

“Yeah?” he asked, looking at me.

“Why did you get so jealous?” I asked, feeling the corners of my mouth lift up but I tried to control.

He scoffed. “I wasn’t jealous.”

“So, you left me there alone, came back home, refused to talk to me and you’re telling me that you weren’t jealous?” I asked, mockingly.

He shook his head and silence fell between us. I sighed inwardly. Tomorrow, I would go back home and I don’t think I’m happy about that. Three weeks just flew by. The long mornings with Ethan constantly yelling at us to hurry up, the Romeo and Juliet play, the kiss between Ethan and me, getting drunk, going on a date with Jared, finding out Jared is my step-brother, Abby and Michael getting into a relationship, falling for Ethan and now, my date with him.

Wow, I thought. These three weeks seem so long.  

“I wasn’t jealous,” he said suddenly and I nodded. “I was annoyed that Austin could make you have more fun in like five minutes and I couldn’t do that throughout our date.”

“What? That’s so not true!” I exclaimed, moving in front of him to face him and stop him. “Ethan, Asutin and I met after years. What do you expect?”

He looked at me sheepishly. He clasped my hand and pulled me along with him.

“Let’s go watch a movie,” he suggested.

“What? It’s quite late,” I said.

“You have a better idea?” he asked. “Other than walking, of course.”

I huffed. “No.”

He chuckled and we continued walking.

*

We entered the theatre, escaping from the cool breeze outside.

“What movie are we going to watch?” I asked, scanning the posters all over the walls.

He shrugged next to me. “I don’t know. Which one do you want to watch?”

I sighed and looked around. No one was around, it was extremely silent. There was no one waiting at the refreshments counter either.

“Hey, Ash?” Ethan asked, interrupting me while I was reading what was written on the posters.

“Yeah?” I asked.

“See the person sitting at the ticket counter?” he whispered, pointing towards a glass window.

I followed his finger and saw that the man was peacefully sleeping in his chair. I looked up at Ethan, curiously. He had a slight smirk on his face and I knew that something stupid was going through his brain.