Chapter 5

I was completely bored. I told mom I would be going to Erica's but she had to go visit her aunt with her mom.

I sighed and logged in to FaceBook. Mom would be home soon, maybe we could go out and get some Mexican food; I really did need a big bowl of cheesy nachos. I browsed through my newsfeed, there was nothing new or interesting but I had a ton of friend requests. Of course, why wouldn't everyone want to be friends with the new girl? Note the sarcasm. I didn't even know many of them, I got a request from Abby; I accepted it instantly. I got a request from Jared, he was there in Chemistry with me; I accepted his as well. I didn't do anything to the people I didn't know, just in case I get to know them later; I could add them. Before I was about to sign out, I noticed a name that I did recognize. Ethan Wilson. I hesitated before adding him but he already has my number, so it wouldn't be a big deal if I accepted a friend request. I accepted his friend request and a message popped up. I expected it to be Ethan, but it was Jared.

Jared Pena - Sup there gorgeous? ;)

Ashley Mathews - Nothing much, I'm just bored. What about you?

Jared Pena- Yup, same here. Maybe we could meet up for a movie or something at 7?

Ashley Mathews - You mean like a.. date?

Jared Pena - If that's what you want, sure ;)

Ashley Mathews - Sorry but I'm not exactly free tonight.

Jared Pena - No worries. Maybe some other time.

Ashley Mathews - Yeah sure. Some other time. I've got to go now. I'll ttyl. Bye!

I gave Jared totally fake answers. Honestly, I didn't like him much. He seemed like the high school's player.

I closed my laptop and walked towards my messy desk searching for my copy of The Last Song. The book is extremely lovely, I haven't read much yet but I love it. I removed my bookmark, lied down on my bed and started reading.

*

I had been reading for an hour and did not want to put the book down but I decided that I should take a break. I checked the time, maybe mom must be home now; I must have not noticed. I went down the stairs and walked towards the kitchen.

While walking, I heard a really girly laugh. I went to the living room and found mom sitting on the couch with a man really close to her. I didn't know what shocked me more; the fact that my mom was laughing like a teenage girl with a man or the fact that the man with her was my dad.

I stood there shocked with wide eyes. How could she be sitting so close to the man who left us for another woman, who didn't give a damn about his responsibilities! I cleared my throat to get my mom's attention. Her head snapped towards me and I looked at her with clear anger. Her eyes widened and she got up, brushing her skirt and walked towards me.

"H-hi honey. I thought you were going to Erica's place," she asked softly.

"Is that why you invited him over?" I replied angrily.

My dad got off the couch. "That is not how to talk to your mother."

I scoffed. "Says the man who ran away from his responsibilities"

"Keep your voice down this instant," he ordered.

Ignoring him, I turned to mom. "Do you mind explaining this?!"

She replied slowly. "Your dad came by to visit us. He said he was in town and wanted to come by and see us."

"You can't be serious, mom! How can you have the nerve to stand in the same room as him!"