A Quiet Night

December 31st, 1940

Bucky drags me through the huge crowd and the lights of Times Square in order to get a better view. We hold hands as we jump across the trolley car tracks and find a small hole in the mass of people to stand. Hundreds if not thousands of us have made the trek out to the square tonight to observe the ball dropping ceremony. Years ago Bucky, Steve and I had all witnessed this event with our families but today I share it only with James. Steve stayed in with the Barnes' not wanting to make the long trip and my parents neglected to even step foot out of the house today. To celebrate a new year would be too depressing for them. Over the past months England's role in the war has continuously escalated. Mother is sick with worry and my father is busier than ever. I try to shake the uncertainty by squeezing Bucky's hand tighter.

The crowd is energized and excited, not a single body stands silent. There is singing and drinking and an overall feeling of comradery. Seeing a father in uniform put his young daughter on my shoulders makes me smile. Leaning into Bucky and pointing at the pair he puts and arm around me. He'd come back from training for the holidays and would be soon going back. I hug him a little tighter wanting to savor every single moment. He tucks a stray lock of hair behind my ear and then kisses me on the forehead. He hugs me close as the crowd's cheering intensifies.

I look up from my sheltered embrace past the intensely bright billboard for the newest Shirley Temple film which causes me to blink a few times before I can focus on the large metal ball utop its building. The countdown begins and I can't help but beam up a the changing of the year as all the people around me resound in joy.

---Bucky's POV---

As the countdown starts I find myself focusing on Evelyn rather than the festivities ahead of me. I want to capture this moment: her completely happy, smiling brightly, cheeks red from the cold and the joyfulness of the crowd. With everything happening in the world and America teetering on the edge of the war there is no certainty of peace. Evelyn has been the optimistic one when it comes to war even now she glows in lights of the the square against the darkness of our uncertain future.

Woken from my dark thoughts I'm alerted to the final seconds and Evelyn tugging on me as she pushes forward with the rest of the crowd. Everyone erupts as the echo of one dissipates. Evelyn spins to me with a magical smile, "Happy New Year!" She yells over the thousand onlookers. I pull her to me and we kiss. With one hand on her back and the other behind her head I dip her low. Her gloved hands grab my arms in surprise, but then she laughs when she realizes it was on purpose. When I raise her back up she playfully pushes me away. She laughs again and I capture an absolutely perfect moment. When I don't react she stops laughing. "What?" She asks, her smile faltering.

I step to her not really knowing how to put what I feel into words. I simply pull her to me once again and bring my lips to her. This kiss is slower, sweeter. When she pulls away she's still smiling but I can tell she has questions. "What was that for?" As if she doesn't know.

"I just love you so much." She caresses my cheek and I hold it there for a moment.

"I love you too." She says, looking deep into my eyes. We kiss once more before the tide of the crowd starts to push us towards the bars. We keep our arms locked as we move so we don't get seperated by the sea of people. We walk east until we come to our favorite spot in Manhattan. The music blares from inside and people pour out the door. Looking at each other we both know we still want to go in and spend the rest of the night dancing.

Unlocking our arms I take a step back and give her a little bow. She takes my extended hand without missing a beat and then we push our way inside. We take to the dance floor right away swinging around to the jazz band playing.