Bucharest

The cathedral has emptied. Steve stands alone near the front and I sit alone at a pew. The last few days have taken a toll. The accords were being ratified and we were all being pressured to sign, not to mention the fact that I had to say goodbye to one of my very best friends. I had been battling within myself whether or not to sign. Both sides had their merit, they really did. I had seen what we could accomplish as a team as well as the hardships we could bring upon the world, but I had also experienced what a governing body could do. I'd seen people with agenda's throughout history and not once was there a difference in how things turned out. Either way people were going to be hurt, were going to struggle.

I look up at the ceiling trying to grasp at the last relic of Peggy that I could. What would she have done? She had loved Steve and had worked hand and hand with a Stark. It doesn't matter what she would have done, I tell myself. She would have made her own way without the influence of others. I look now to Steve who has embraced Natasha. He was truly my family, I had to stay with him. I'm not sure of my choice, if it is the correct one, but I do know that I can't lose him. 

As Natasha walks down the aisle towards the doors. I stand up and approach him. She gives me a small smile and and somber nod. She knows my choice, she always knew. I place a hand on his shoulder. "Steve I... I'm not going to sign." He turns to me, his eyes still wet with tears. He pulls me in for a hug embracing me tightly. We stay like this for a few moments just remembering all that had passed between us all those years ago. Peggy would have wanted us to stick together, and I know that we will.

I feel my phone vibrate 3 times signalling a call from Nick. I pull away from Steve. He nods at me and I nod back, our silent understanding is a trait I wish I had with other people. As I exit the cathedral I finally acknowledge the caller. "Nick now's not really the best time..."

"We found Barnes." He says cutting me off. I look around making sure I'm out of earshot of anyone who might still be around.

"Where?" I ask, trying to mentally prepare myself for anything.

"Bucharest Romania. These accords aren't going to make this any easier... You need to get there before they put them into action tomorrow."

"I know Nick I know."

"Who all is signing?" 

"Tony, Rhodes, Nat..."

"It doesn't matter." He says. "I've sent you a car, Hill managed to get you a suit." I turn and see the black car up on the curb.

"Now how on earth did she manage that?" I say stepping to the car and getting inside. Sure enough my Iron Man suit sits waiting for me. 

"This is the last you'll hear from me for a while Evelyn. Good luck."

"Same to you." I say, it's left at that as the call ends. I'm driven out of the city to a secluded area as I change into more efficient clothes. My door opens and I drag my suit outside and step inside it. She comes to life for me, my path is already marked. I've hardly taken off before Tony appears in front of me.

"What are you doing?" He starts. He obviously deserves an explanation, but maybe not the truth. 

"Taking her out for one more spin before it's taken from me."

He seems hurt. "I could take you out of the sky right now you know."

"Let me have my last day of freedom Tony." 

"No one's taking your freedom Eve."

"Seems like it." I retort. "I'm doing something that needs to be done before you sign tomorrow. Ground me if you need to, but know that if you do you won't see me again, because I already want no part of the signing... I'm only going to stick around for Steve." I hang up and immediately regret what I've said. He believed in what he was doing and that's all we can do as people. I contemplate calling him back but decide against it focusing on the task at hand.