From Soldier to Hero

It had taken awhile for everyone to come to terms with Nick's sudden appearance, but after the kids were put to bed we all naturally found ourselves lounging around the kitchen waiting to hear what he had to say. Clint is throwing darts, the rest seem to still be licking their wounds. None of us speak so Nick takes it upon himself to begin. "Ultron took you folks out of play to buy himself time. My contacts all say he's building something. The amount of Vibranium he made off with, I don't think it's just one thing."

"What about Ultron himself?" Steve says, ready to forgive, forget, and move on.

"Ah. He's easy to track, he's everywhere. Guy's multiplying faster than a Catholic rabbit. Still doesn't help us get an angle on any of his plans though."

Tony has lifted his head off the table now, "He still going after launch codes?"

"Yes, he is, but he's not making any headway."

Tony sits all the way up now, "I cracked the Pentagon's firewall in high school on a dare."

"Yeah, well, I contacted our friends at the NEXUS about that."

"NEXUS?" Steve asks.

"It's the world internet hub in Oslo, every byte of data flows through there, fastest access on earth." Bruce explains, it still didn't mean much to me but i'm sure it was important if Ultron was targeting it.

Clint hits another straight shot down the middle and then turns to us. "So what'd they say?"

"He's fixated on the missiles, but the codes are constantly being changed."

"By whom?" Tony asks, standing now.

Nick shakes his head. "Parties unknown."

"Wait I'm confused. Does this mean we have someone on the inside?" I ask genuinely having no clue as to what or who it could be.

"An ally?" Natasha asks looking at Nick.

"Ultron's got an enemy, that's not the same thing. Still, I'd pay folding money to know who it is."

"Well, this is good times, boss, but I was kind of hoping when I saw you, you'd have more than that." Natasha smiles, yeah me and her both.

"I do, I have you. Back in the day, I had eyes everywhere, ears everywhere else. Here we all are, back on earth, with nothing but our wit, and our will to save the world. So stand. Outwit the platinum bastard. What. Does. He. Want?"

It all suddenly clicks in my mind. "To become better. Better than us. He keeps building bodies."

Tony piggybacks off of my revelation. "Person bodies. The human form is inefficient, biologically speaking, we're outmoded. But he keeps coming back to it."

Bruce has his own thought. "They don't need to be protected, they need to evolve. Ultron's going to evolve." 

"The question is how?" I say looking from face to face.

"Has anyone been in contact with Helen Cho?" Bruce asks.

"Oh God." I whisper under my breath. She has no warning and no protection.

Steve steps up immediately, "I'll take Clint, Nat, and Eve."

Tony agrees, "Alright, strictly recon. I'll hit the Nexus, I'll join you as soon as I can. 

"If Ultron is really building a body..." I begin.

"He'll be more powerful than any of us. Maybe all of us. An android designed by a robot." Tony finishes. 

Steve turns to me, "You know I really miss the days when the weirdest thing science ever created was me." I can't help but reminisce the statement, I really miss those days too.

Nick stand, "I'll drop Banner off at the tower. Do you mind if I borrow Ms. Hill?" This statement is directed at Tony opposed to the whole group.

Tony was already nearly out of the room but he turns back to respond. "She's all yours, apparently. What are you gonna do? 

"I don't know. Something dramatic, I hope." Nick smiles at all of us as the team breaks. I watch as Clint goes over to his wife, before they can have their private conversation I set myself in, I need to know if I can go.

"Clint." I start. They both turn to me. "I can stay if you want me too."

Clint turns to his wife who answers me. "You have to go. This is too big for the 6 of them. Nick will send someone here, I want you out there covering him." Clint looks at her in protest but he knows there is no arguing with her.

I nod. "I will." I leave it at that because there truly isn't all that more to say, at least not right now. With that I leave the two and head towards the stairs. 

Once upstairs I take a good long look at the suit. Is this truly what I want, this was the last choice, follow it and become an Avenger or sit back and be the same woman I always was. Looking back at everything being me has brought nothing but loss, who's to say that this suit would bring me anything close to good fortune but it couldn't be any worse than how it's been. I take a deep breath and one foot in the suit. It wasn't until now that I felt the vulnerability this suit gives. Sure it protects you but the risks you take will be much harder. I'd lost it all bargaining with those risks, but now the fate of the world is here, laid at my feet. I shut out all other thoughts and step inside.

The systems come online, and I have to squint into the new light. "Nick has a message for you Ms. Moore." I already know what it will read but I let her open it for me anyway.

Don't forget what I asked you. The end is near and  if it's not going to be Ultron then I'd like to be ahead of it.

From hero back to soldier, just like that.