Chapter Thirty-Six: Botched Escape

Ashlyn

Sleep didn't come easy after Seymour left. Not with how cold and lonely the basement was or the squeaking rats I swore I heard, whether I should've been hungry or afraid of being bitten was debatable. Waking up the next morning, I hissed as I discovered the kink in my neck from sleeping sitting up. My ass was sore and numb and I pushed the discomfort of moving out of mind as I shifted in search of a more comfortable position. It was useless in the end. The door at the top of the stairs squeaked slightly as it opened and I looked towards the dusty steps, wondering who was coming to torment me now. Elijah, the large Beta, appeared at the base of the stairs.

"What do you want...?" I mumbled, unconsciously pressing back into the wall, away from him.

"My Alpha sent me down here to make sure you were behaving," he sneered, looking down his nose at me like I was some pet he didn't want. He turned to leave again and I sat forward quickly, hissing slightly.

"W-Wait!" I called after him, watching him turn slightly to look at me over his shoulder at me.

"I-I need to go to the bathroom, can you let me out for just five minutes?" I asked, bowing my head and baring my neck in the submissive way I'd learned from Kyle's pack. He stared for a long minute, eyes narrowed suspiciously before slowly walking over to stand in front of me.

"You gonna behave yourself?" He growled. It wasn't just a question- it was a warning, to be compliant or suffer the consequences. I nodded quickly. I seriously needed to go to the bathroom and I didn't feel like sitting in my own urine. He huffed in annoyance and went upstairs, leaving me worried he was going to leave me down here instead but he reappeared a moment later with keys jingling in his hand and leaned down to unlock the chains strangling my wrists. I nearly screamed when my arms lowered, shoulders stiff from having my arms above my head so long. I stood up shakily, nearly collapsing my legs were so numb. "You want to go to the bathroom or not?" Elijah snarled at me.

"Y-Yes! I'm sorry, my legs are asleep," I explained quickly, forcing my stiff limbs to cooperate enough to get up the stairs. He staid close behind me as I stumbled up the stairs and grabbed my arm when we went through the basement door into the house, jerking me this way and that as he led me to the bathroom. I felt eyes on me from all sides, glancing over and sucking in a breath when I saw a handful of wolves glaring at me, some from the woods two days ago, some new faces, all aggressive and snarling with bared teeth. Elijah shoved me through a door and I stumbled, catching myself on the edge of a sink.

"Don't take forever, you got it?" The Beta snapped. I nodded shakily and closed the door slowly, leaning against the door as I let out a slow breath. I used the bathroom as I'd intended, sitting for two nights without moving quite uncomfortable with a full bladder. I ran my hands under the cool stream of water, sighing slowly and dipped my head to splash the water on my face and wash off the dirt and blood crusted to my skin, flinching when I tenderly touched my nose. This needed to be fixed before it healed broken.

I placed my fingers on each side of the bridge of my nose, eyes already watering when I looked at myself in the mirror. My breath was stuttering as I breathed in then pushed as I breathed out. There was a small resistance before I felt a crunch and shrieked, cupping my hands over my nose and mouth as I dropped into a crouch on the bathroom floor, rocking forward onto my knees and dropping my head with a sob. A fist pounded the door, followed by a shout.

"What are you doing?!" Elijah snarled and I stood up shakily. "N-Nothing, it was, uh, a spider!" I called, leaning against the sink as I cupped my face. My legs were shaky but feeling had returned to my achy limbs. I could try to get out, force my way out and run, but I had no idea where I was. But I couldn't stay here, I had to try. I sucked in a breath and opened the door slowly, waiting till Elijah went to grab me to act.