Chapter Three: That Scent...

Kyle

I jogged into First Period, sighing when the bell rang. Made it! I looked up when the teacher started talking and stood at the back of the class with all the other students.

"Hello everyone, my name is Ms. Alison, and I'm your art teacher! For most of you longtime artists, this isn't your first year with me, and for you Freshmens, your first year! I try to be laid back so you enjoy your time here, but I have a few ground rules. One: Take consequences without complaints or back talk. Two: Do your assignments and at least try to look like you're working! Three: if you are told to stay in your assigned seat, you stay in your assigned seat. Understood?" She asked everyone.

"Yes Ms. Alison," everyone answered.

"Good. Today I will allow you to choose your seating. We will also vote on what project we will begin then you can work in your sketchbooks for the rest of the period. Go ahead!" Ms. Alison said. I was instantly flocked by about half the class, both girls and guys wanting to get a seat with me. I turned my head away to look for an open seat when I caught a scent that made me freeze and my wolf perk up.

That smell... That wasn't just an every day scent. My nose was filled with the overwhelming aroma of rose petals with a hint of spice that made me want to drop to my knees and whimper like a pup. I looked around sharply, trying to locate the origin of that aroma that made my wolf push forward. I tried and failed to locate the focus point of that oh so distracting and enticing scent with so many others bombarding my senses.

"Kyle, come sit with me~" A popular girl named Hailey purred. I relented,  put out over the fact I was unable to locate that distracting scent's owner. I sat at a table and pulled out my sketchbook, frowning as I worked on my drawing of a wolf. I was going to have to talk to my Dad about this later...

"So Kyle, I heard you live in a big house in the woods. That true?" A guy named Tyson asked. I glanced up and rested my head in my hand.

"Yes...? Why?" I asked arching an eyebrow at him. He smirked and looked at me from across the table.

"Perfect place to throw a party, don't you think? You're lucky man!" Tyson laughed and everyone at the table murmured their agreements. My eyes narrowed as I looked him up and down. Yeah, no. One: that would most definitely piss off my Alpha and Beta. Two: hell no.

"My home isn't a frat house, thank you," I growled out, my wolf itching to come out. Tyson swallowed and looked down, knowing he'd overstepped his boundaries. I shook my head and bent back over my sketchbook, having to bite back a whine as I caught another whiff of that intoxicating scent, my wolf whimpering. I groaned in frustration and rubbed my face, pushing a hand through my soft black hair.

"You ok Kyle~?" Hailey asked sweetly from her seat next to me, laying a hand on my shoulder. At that moment, my wolf didn't want to feel any touch but the one who owned that distracting scent. I growled and jerked my arm away, glaring at her.

"Don't." I snapped. Her eyes widened as she sat back, confusion clouding her gaze. I stood and shoved my sketchbook in my satchel then sat my bag on the floor. I strode over to the teacher, chewing my lip.

"Ms. Alison, may I use the restroom?" I asked tucking my hands into my front pockets.

"Sure, just take the hall pass," she said pointing to the wall next to the door where two passes were hanging. I nodded and grabbed the pass as I slipped out the door. I hurried down the hall, struggling to calm my wolf who was practically whimpering with the need to find the one owning that scent. I pressed the knob and dipped my hands into the water, leaning down and scrubbing my face.

"Get a grip Kyle! You don't even know what this means!" I hissed to myself then dried my face. But it means something important.

"Dude, you ok?" Someone asked from behind me. I spun around in alarm but relaxed when I saw Azar standing there with their hands in their pockets.

"Oh, it's just you... Yeah, I think so..." I murmured. Azar walked over and leaned against the wall.

"What happened? I've never seen you so flustered, and that's saying something since I've known you since second grade," they said with a serious face. I chewed my lip, not sure if I should tell them.

"I caught this scent in art class, one like no other. It's so freaking distracting, my wolf is getting antsy," I sighed. Out of our group, I was closest to Azar. We had been best friends that long and they were my only human friend who knew I was a werewolf. They'd found out in the fifth grade when they came over to my house and my Dad had let them in and sent them up to my room. I didn't know before hand and Azar saw me as a wolf. They took it surprisingly well and has watched my back ever since, helping me keep it a secret.

"Hm... Are you sure it isn't some really strong perfume?" They asked. I shook my head.

"No. Most definitely not," I insisted. Azar looked at their phone and frowned.

"Well, we'll have to address this at lunch. There's ten minutes till the bell, and I promise I'll help you figure this out," Azar promised.

"Thanks Azzy," I smiled. They rolled their eyes at the nickname I always use.

"Yeah, yeah, whatever. I'll see you later Wolf Boy," Azar teased. I chuckled and left the bathroom, feeling better now that I had my friends counseling, my wolf more settled.

I was determined to figure this out.