Chapter Two: The Lone Vampire

Ashlyn

I groaned and grabbed my phone off the nightstand, sitting up as I silenced my alarm. It's too early, dammit! My phone read 6:30 and I sighed.  Today was my first day at Hellgate High School, which ranked at #6 in the top high schools in Montana. My parents and I had moved here in late August,  getting unpacked and settled in just in time for my first day.

"This is gonna be great..." I muttered sarcastically as I grabbed a pair of ripped black jeans and a black sweater-like long sleeve shirt. I walked into my bathroom attached to my room and pulled off my tank top and shorts, turning on the shower and letting the water warm.

"Panic! At The Disco, Panic! At The Disco..." I murmured as I scrolled through Amazon Music, trying to find one of my favorite artists.

"Ah hah!" I exclaimed then turned on Nicotine and set my phone on the counter, turning it up full blast then hopped into the stream of warm water.

"Cross my heart and hope to die,  burn my lungs and curse my eyes!" I sang as I showered.

"I've lost control,  and I don't want it back.  I'm going numb,  I've been hyjaaaaked! It's a fucking draaaag!" I sang loudly as I washed my body then scrubbed my flaming orange hair.

"I taste you on my lips and I can't get rid of youuuu! So I say damn your kiss and the awful things you doooo!" I sang as I shut off the shower and dried off. I started dressing then grinned when the best part came on.

"YEAH, YOU'RE WORSE THAN NICOTINEEEEEE!" I sang as I jumped around my room in my ripped jeans and black bra.

"NICOTINEEEEEE!" I sang then pulled on my top. I exited out of my Amazon Music tab then grabbed my light brown satchel and tossed it on as I stuffed my phone in my back pocket. I hurried into my bathroom and ran a brush through my fiery hair then scrubbed my pearly whites.

I rinsed my toothbrush then put it in a cup next to the faucet. I paused when I looked in the mirror, forcing myself to hold my own lapez gaze. I reached up slowly and lifted my upper lip, flinching as I examined my abnormally sharp incisors. I was regularly asked about them and always said they grew in abnormally sharp. In my old schools, I was always teased for them; kids calling me a vampire and a bloodsucker. If only they knew the truth...

I took a shuddering breath and backed away from the mirror, spinning about and hurrying down the stairs. I looked into the kitchen and smiled when I saw my mom cooking breakfast and my dad adjusting his tie with one hand and holding the newspaper with his other.

"Morning Daddy," I said and kissed his cheek. He smiled and squeezed my hand.

"Morning Sweetheart!" He smiled. I grinned then went over to my Mom.

"Morning Mama!" I said kissing her cheek then grabbed a bagel with cream cheese.

"Hey Hon! Don't you want more than a bagel?" My Mom asked. I looked over my shoulder at her as I sat at the table. What my Mom didn't know was that food was useless. Yeah, it was delicious, but only blood could fulfill my cravings. No matter how much I ate, I would always be hungry until I drank blood.

"No, I'm good. I only want a bagel," I said with a smile as I took another bite. Neither of my parents knew this,  but every morning on my walk to school in the past, I'd go into the woods and hunt. I've never killed a human before or drank human blood,  only animal. Every morning and evening I'd kill a squirrel or rabbit and drink it's blood, soothing my cravings and handling my instincts to hunt, to kill.

"Alright Sweetheart. Coen, you need anything else hon?" My mom asked my Dad.

"Nope, but thanks Dear," He said pecking her on the lips then putting his dishes in the sink. I smiled as I watched my parents. I'd always dreamt of a relationship like that, but always brushed it off. I was a Vampire, it was too dangerous for me to have such a relationship.

"I'm out! Want a ride Ash?" My Dad asked drapping an arm over my shoulders.

"No, I'm fine with walking," I said.

"Alright, I'll see you tonight Princess. Goodbye Claire bear," He said kissing my head then kissed my Mom after using his pet name for her. I smiled as he jogged out the door.

"I should go too, it's 7:30. Bye Mama!" I said running out the door. I needed to go hunting, I was getting hungry.

"By Sweetheart!" My Mom yelled after me. I jogged down the street, and after I was a ways, veered into the woods.

I quickly ate then got back on my route to school, happy after my breakfast then hurried to school. Let's get this first day started.