Chapter Thirty-Five: Calm Before the Storm

Kyle

We left that night after Dad finished making preparations with Ashlyn's parents and the pack, deciding who would stay and who would go. It was Decided that Aunt Josephine and Nyma would stay at the pack house with Anna, Henry, Cadenza and a majority of the pack. Cadenza was annoyed by this; she felt she was old and mature enough to help find my mate. Her parents instantly said no, telling her there could be an altercation and didn't want her getting caught up in anything that faintly hinted at danger. She was still only a juvenile, even if just barely.

Most of the pack had a similar complaint. This was their future Alpha Female, their future Alpha's mate, it was understandable why those told to remain home were displeased. But my Dad had a point when telling them that Ashlyn's parents had only met our direct family. And that they were humans, they did not know about our pack. They were still unhappy but settled for their placement.

We'd arrived late last night at Ashlyn's grandparent's home and they'd kindly let us sleep in their spare rooms(the ones that were left), sharing them amongst us and taking over the front room. I'd been given one of the spare rooms to share with my Dad and Uncle Rowan. Blake and Gasten wanted to stay with their mates so they took the other spare room with two twin beds (how they made two people fit in each is beyond me).

I hadn't been able to sleep and gave up after lying there for an hour. I'd decided to slip from the room, fairly sure my Dad saw me but he hadn't said anything as I wandered into the hall. This house was so unfamiliar to me but I'd still managed to find my way into a room with the sweet smell of roses and spice, taking a deep breath and letting it envelop me.

Ashlyn's room.

I'd laid down slowly on the quilt, pressing my face into her pillow and closing my eyes, falling asleep imagining she was beside me.

And that's where my Dad found me in the morning. He shook my shoulder and I glanced up at him tiredly, blinking away the sleep clinging to my eyes.

"Come on Kyle, we're eating breakfast then going out to search," Dad said walking back to the door. I dragged myself up, the wolf inside me whining at the lose of Ashlyn's scent around me as I followed my Father out into the hall and quietly downstairs. When we reached the dining room, I saw my family as well Ashlyn's sitting at the table eating in somber silence as a man walked back and forth from the kitchen to the table placing the food down.

"Here, let me take it, Dorian," Mr. Coleman said and I watched him take a plate full of hot french toast from the man, Dorian. He gave a numb smile and sat at the table silently beside a man with short black hair and blue-green eyes who reached over and grasped his hand. The whole room was full of anxious tension and the sheer misery coming from everyone made me fidgety and stressed as I sat. A little boy with bluish-green curly hair and gray eyes stared at me from across the table and I forced a small friendly smile.

"You're Kyle," he said, his little voice filling the silence of the dining room.

"Yes, I am," I nodded; I could feel everyone's eyes trained on me.

"You're Ashlyn's boyfriend. I saw you on her phone," he said almost accusingly, like me caught me red-handed.

"Yes, I am," I repeated and he looked down, suddenly sad and guilty.

"She left because I told everyone..." he murmured. Dorian and the black-haired man quickly looked over at him.

"No she didn't Ross, it's not your fault," Dorian said softly. Those two must have been his father.

"She loves you," I blurted and the boy's fathers, I assumed, looked at me. "She talked about how excited she was to come see you before she left, she didn't leave because you did anything," I told the boy, not wanting to see him so sad. He stared up at me before nodding slowly and returning to his food. The rest of breakfast was quiet, silver wear scrapping and soft murmurs asking for a plate the only noises in the room.