Chapter Twenty-Three: Family Reunions

Kyle

Ashlyn's heart was pounding when I parked the car in her driveway; I could hear it. I stepped out and grabbed our bags from the backseat, my arm wrapping around Ashlyn's shoulders as we walked to the front door. Her hand shook as she reached out and opened the door, taking me inside and nodded to a spot against the wall where I set our bags.

"Mom?" she called, looking around the front room and dining room.

"I'm here," Mrs. Coleman said walking out of the kitchen, arms crossed and lips pursed. "Sit down," she said nodding to the dining room table and Ashlyn sat in a deep brown wooden chair, staring down at her hands. I stood behind Ashlyn, watching as Mrs. Coleman sat across from her daughter. "You too Kyle," She said looking at me.

"Yes Ma'am," I said sitting beside Ashlyn obediently, not wanting to get kicked out and forced to leave Ashlyn.

"Do you know why I'm mad?" Clair asked calmly and that tone even made me fidget nervously. It was never good when an obviously pissed mother sounded calm.

"Because I punched a girl in the face...?" Ashlyn asked slowly, laughing nervously.

"Exactly!" Clair smiled sarcastically. "You punched a girl in the face!" she snapped and Ashlyn bit her lip. Her long pale fingers were fidgeting and picking at her trimmed nails in a anxious way. I glanced back up at Clair, slipping my hand over Ashlyn's thigh and lacing my fingers with her's to calm her.

"Mom, it wasn't my fault! She attacked me first but I bet she didn't share that part, did she?" Ashlyn asked angrily, suddenly becoming fierce and irritated.

"No because you ditched right after!" Clair yelled. Ashlyn was getting angry; I could feel her pulse pounding in her slim wrist. Clair took a deep breath and closed her eyes to calm down and they snapped open after a moment.

"I talked to your father and we agreed that neither of us want to punish you; you're usually so well behaved, we didn't want to punish you so harshly... So instead of grounding you we thought it would be better if we left for our annual family reunion early!" she beamed and I could tell by the way Ashlyn's jaw dropped that this "Annual family reunion" wasn't necessarily a great thing.

"Mom... Please, do not do that to me. I'm begging you," Ashlyn pleaded, tone dreadful.

"You were suspended from school tomorrow and Friday so we decided we'd leave tomorrow morning," Clair smiled. Ashlyn's fire colored hair fell over one shoulder as she dropped her head on the table and I rubbed her back.

"What's this annual family reunion?" I asked.

"It's this reunion my family has every spring break. I get dragged along everytime," Ashlyn mumbled.

"It's not that bad Ashlyn! We usually only go Saturday to Thursday, but sense you're suspended we can go for about a week!" Clair said excitedly, obviously much more delighted about this reunion. Ashlyn looked at me desperately and the pleading in her sad blue eyes made my heart throb.

"This sounds fun, I wish I could come with you," I teased and I really wished I could; a week away from my mate? Absolute torture. And my family was coming to the pack house for break as well so it's not like I could even hope to go with Ashlyn... Though if she could've possibly stay and met my family, that'd be amazing.