Chapter Thirty-Four: Seymour

Ashlyn

The moment I started to wake, everything was pain. My head pounded and my face ached while my arms throbbed and stung like I'd been attacked by a hundred bees. I forced my eyes open and groaned, shuffling as I tried to get comfortable and bit back a cry as it made everything worse. My arms were restricted when I tried to pull them around myself, making a clang echo through the room. Where was I?

The walls were dusty and there was mold build up in the corners, making every breath smell musky and old. There were things stacked against the wall to my left, some covered by tarps,  others uncovered and lying around like they'd been thrown haphazardly. There was a window near the ceiling in the wall across from me, the pane cracked and missing glass in some places that allowed little fresh air into the room.

A door creaked to my right and I jolted, looking at the stairs descending from the right side. I couldn't see the door from my spot on the floor, but I could hear wood creak as footsteps made their way into the basement. A young man paused at the foot of the stairs, looking directly at me before looking up the stairs.

"Beta, the vampire is awake!" He called, hazel eyes flicking back to me uncertainly. There was shuffling upstairs then another set of footsteps. My body went ridged when the dark eyed man from the woods stepped beside the young man, a full head taller than him.

"Thank you Seymour, go tell our Alpha. He'll want to speak to her," he instructed, eyes trained on me. The man, Seymour, bowed his head and ducked back upstairs quickly and the resounding bang from the slamming door echoed in my bones. We sat staring at each other, silence wrapping around us like a plastic bag over the head. The door opened again, more footsteps, then another tall man stood beside the dark eyed one.

"You are awake. Good. My name is Fisher and you are in my house, under the watch of my pack. So I suggest you do not try to escape, because not everyone here is a fan of your kind," he said, looking down his nose at me with eyes so pale you'd think he was blind. Maybe he was, with the long scar over his right eye that extended from his right temple down over his eye and curled along the curve of his cheek.

"What is your name, vampire?" He asked after a stretch of silence filled with me simply staring at him. I debated if I should lie to him or even answer at all. The beta growled at me and stepped forward and I tried to recoil as he reached for me, his hand squeezing my jaw and jerking my head up painfully.

"Answer him before I start breaking the rest of the bones of that pretty little face of yours," he warned and my heart raced inside my chest.

"Ashlyn..." I whispered, trying to keep the quiver out of my voice.

"Speak up!"

"A-Ashlyn!" The Beta nodded, pleased with my answer and let go, stepping back to his Alpha's side.

"Ashlyn, such a lovely name for such an ugly creature... Where are you from, Ashlyn?" Fisher asked, voice demeaning. I looked down, shifting as I pulled my legs up closer to my chest.

"Montana. Look, I didn't know there was a pack here, I wasn't trying to trespass! I don't want to cause trouble, just let me go and I won't come back," I promised. I needed to get out, these wolves hated me, they didn't look like they were above killing me either-

Mom.

I promised mom I'd be home last night, she's probably losing her mind, my whole family too.

And Kyle.

What would Kyle do if I never came back, just disappeared with no warning or trace?

"I-I need to go, you don't understand, my family is going to freak out," I rambled, panic and stress reducing my breaths to pants.