50- Why Not Add Garrett Too?

Chapter Fifty (how did it get this high?????):

Why Not Add Garrett Too?:

Forty-two.

That was the number of hours it had been since something strange happened. That was almost two days, so you would think I would be less anxious about everything. But I was the complete opposite.

I was jumpy- just waiting for something to happen. Something had to. There wasn’t that long of a break between strange things now.

Thursday the girls had freaked out about the plane thing. Friday Alice had told me about the ‘voices’. Saturday the whole train thing happened. Nothing had happened all day Sunday, but then Monday evening I got the bunny ears and freaked out.  

A one day lapse was normal at this point. But almost two days? That was weird. Really weird.

Some people might be celebrating the fact that the object of their worries seemed to have disappeared; but not me. I knew that since nothing had happened for forty-two hours, something was going to happen soon. And it would be bad.

I’m not trying to be a pessimist, it just makes sense. All the bad things that could be happening, were piling up. So that when a bad thing did occur, it would have the power or all the other possible bad things.

Or at least that was my logic. But I really hope it’s not true. I would love more than anything for everything to just go away, and for life to go back to normal again.

I groaned in frustration at my homework. It should have been relatively easy, but I was so distracted by the whole forty-two thing, that it just wasn’t making sense to me.

“Wow Pigtails,” Garrett commented from behind me. My head shot up and I swiveled to look at him. “Your life is really boring without me.”

“Oh shut up,” I huffed. “I have to do homework.”

“I see that.” Garrett crossed from the door to where I was sitting on one of the deck chairs. He had had basketball after school so I hadn’t seen him since science.

“What? No hello for me?” Garrett teased.

“Hi, Gare,” I said monotonously.

“I don’t even get anything better than that?”

I just ignored him.

“So why are you sitting out here where it’s cold when there’s a very lovely heater inside?” Garrett asked.

I pointed to the pile of leaves the girls were rolling in.

“I didn’t want to just leave them out here alone, you never know what could be hiding in those leaves,” I said seriously.

“Like what?”

“I don’t know. A spider I would have had to remove-”

“You mean kill,” Garrett corrected.

I frowned at him. “Why would I kill a spider for being unfortunate enough to make its home in a pile of leaves that the girls want to play in?”

Garrett smiled at me in amusement. “You’re so cute,” he cooed.

I smiled and shook my head at him in embarrassment.

We were silent for a couple of moments. The sounds of rustling leaves and the girls small voices echoed around the yard.

I was trying to focus on my homework, but my own thoughts and Garrett’s fidgeting was distracting me. I shook my head to try and clear it and attempted my homework once again.