42- Phone Call

Chapter Forty Two:

Phone Calls:

My mind raced. Something went wrong with the flight. Something went wrong with the flight.

Everyone was silent for a moment. Then simultaneously, the girls both burst into sobs.

I immediately pulled Alice to me using one hand. Ashley did the same thing for Maddy. “Shh, shh, Cutie,” I whispered into Alice’s. “It’s going to be alright,” I said.

It felt good to be comforting Alice. I didn’t like that I had to be doing it, but it felt good because it kept my mind off of getting the rest of the details from Ashley.

Once the girls had calmed down a bit, I addressed Ashley.

“What happened? With the flight?”

“Something went wrong with the engine, they still aren’t sure what. Everyone is fine, but they’re stuck at the airport until they can either get another plane ready, or fix the other one,” Ashley said a little shakily. She took a deep breath and shot me a small smile.

“Ashley you said everyone was fine, you don’t need to worry about him,” I told her.

“I know,” Ashley said, “but I’m his mother, I’m supposed to worry.”

“He’s fine,” I said again.

All of were silent for a moment. The girls had pulled away from Ashley and I, and they were sitting at opposite ends of the table. At the quick glance I took at them, it almost looked like they were glaring at each other. But I quickly shook that off. They were six year old best friends, they wouldn’t be glaring at each other.

“I’m going to go call Will, he should know,” Ashley said aloud to herself.

I nodded even though she wasn’t speaking to me.

I slumped against the counter and put my head into my hands for a second. My crutches were digging painfully into my sides, but they were better there than falling to the floor.

I moved my hands down from the top of my head, down my forehead, cheeks and then to under my chin.

Despite the news I had just heard, I couldn’t help but laugh. It wasn’t a full, stomach clenching laugh, but it was a laugh nonetheless.

Neither Alice nor Maddy had any experience with planes, so last night they were all freaked out that Garrett would die because they’ve probably seen one too many May Days or something.

So how ironic is it, that the morning after the girls freak out about Garrett getting on a plane, his plane actually has a problem?

It’s like they knew or something, but they had no way of knowing.

I was still standing there in shock of the irony of the whole thing when my phone rang. I looked around and spotted it still sitting on the table where I had left it earlier.

I crutched over to the table quickly and managed to answer the call before it went to voicemail.

“Hello?” I said hesitantly, since I hadn’t looked at the caller ID.

“Mornin’ Pigtails,” Garrett greeted. “How’s my girlfriend this morning?”

“You’re asking how I am, when your plane had to land because of engine problems?” I asked incredulously.

“Ah, so you found out,” Garrett stated.

“Yeah! And even if I hadn’t, how would you be calling me right now when you are supposed to be in the air?”