45- Train Tracks

Oh and Quinn is back! Did anybody like her?

Chapter Forty Five:

Train Tracks: 

After the strange incident yesterday, everything was normal again. While I had been eating my breakfast that morning, Alice came down and joined me, acting like nothing out of the ordinary had happened at all the last couple of days. She wasn’t even sad about the plane thing anymore; she was completely normal again.

Apparently, I was the one not acting normal. As soon as Alice had finished her cereal, she had pointed out the note from Mom on the table that I had managed to miss and ask why I wasn’t dressed yet. I usually came downstairs already ready for the day, so this was unusual for me.

After reading the note (which just said that Ashley was expecting Alice for the day, but that I was welcome over there as well), I’d gotten dressed and Alice and I had spent the day at the Connors’.

No one had noticed that I was a little…off. Ashley was busy watching some Remembrance Day ceremony on TV, Kyle was pouting because his mom was making him do homework, and the girls were off in their own world.

No one else even thought it was strange that the girls had another day doing absolutely nothing Barbie related. They made towns out of Jenga blocks and then decorated them using assorted sparkly things they had found around the house.

I swear the entire day, except for the incident in the morning, I didn’t see a single Barbie. I was strange.

When Garrett had called that evening I had tried describing all the weirdness to him, but he had just said that I was probably missing him too much because there was no way any of that could happen. The girls always played with Barbies, and Alice didn’t…do whatever she had done yesterday morning.

I had agreed with Garrett, because there was nothing else I could really do, and decided that I would just forget about it all.

So this morning when I woke up, I decided to pretend like all of yesterday, just hadn’t happened. I would save so much of my sanity that way.

I took a long shower, to wash away the memories of yesterday, and then completed my morning routine quickly because I was hungry.

“What are you doing today Bridget?” Dad asked me as I sat down with my bowl of cereal.

“Dunno yet,” I said. “Why?”

Dad shrugged. “You’ve just spent the last couple of weekends with Garrett, and he’s not here now.”

“I didn’t spend last weekend with him,” I pointed out. Garrett and I had been broken up then.

“True,” Dad said, nodding his head. “But you still went over to talk to him.”

I thought for a moment and realized that he was right. “Oh yeah.”

“Why don’t you call Quinn?” Mom suggested. “I’m sure she will be up for something.”

My eyes widened for a second in shock, then I realized I hadn’t told my parents that Quinn and I weren’t exactly on good terms anymore. They didn’t know she had pointed out to me how awful of a person I am the day Garrett and I got back together.

“Um, I think she’s uh…busy,” I lied.

“Oh. Well I’m sure someone else is free,” Mom said with a polite smile.

“Mom I don’t need you setting up my social life for me, I’m fine by myself, really,” I said.

Mom smiled again. “I know you are sweetie. It just seems that Quinn isn’t around as often as she used to be, and you spend all your time with Garrett now. And if you aren’t with him, you’re just with your little sister or alone. I just want you to know that you don’t have to dedicate your life to Garrett just because he is your boyfriend.”