40- Don't Go

The dedication is just for being awesome the last couple of days, thanks!

Chapter Forty (O.o):

Don't Go:

“Okay, Gare,” I said once we were on the sidewalk outside of his house afterschool. “Will you tell me now?” I begged.

“Calm down Pigtails! We aren’t even in the house yet!” Garrett said, shooting me a smile.

“It’s close enough!” I countered.

“You’ve waited all day, you can wait a couple more minutes,” he reasoned.

I huffed and stepped between him and the door, which he had been reaching to open. I held my crutches under my armpits so they wouldn’t fall.

“Please Gare?” I pouted and placed one of my hands on his chest.

Garrett shook his head and pecked my lips. “Let me grab some food and then I’ll tell you. There’s really no point in me telling you right now because we’re already home.”

“You better tell me,” I told him. I had a feeling he would be putting it off again.

“I will, I promise. And it’s nothing important anyways,” Garrett said.

“I still want to know,” I said, moving out of his way so he could open the door.

“Patience, Pigtails, patience,” Garrett chastised, throwing open the door to his home.

I pouted even though Garrett’s back was to me and followed him into the house.

“Hey Ashley!” I called out, since Garrett headed straight for the kitchen; his mind set on only food.

“Oh, hey! You’re home!” she said. She stood up from the couch and walked into the kitchen. Kyle immediately pounced on the spot Ashley had been sitting on to grab the remote and change it to the Xbox so he could play.

I kicked off my shoes and the joined Ashley and Garrett in the kitchen.

“Garrett,” Ashley said, “I checked the weather and it’s been raining lots in California. Make sure you pack a jacket-”

“Mom!” Garrett said sharply. “Can we talk about this later?” he asked, his eyes darting from his mother to me.

“No! I don’t want my little boy getting sick while he’s in California! Just because it’s California doesn’t mean it’s 30° and sunny all the time. It is November, it’s no longer summer.”

“I know that,” Garrett said with a sigh.

“Good, so you’ll be packing a jacket,” Ashley said with a curt nod. “They want you there four hours early, so you better go to bed early tonight because we have to be leaving at four in the morning.”

“Gare, you’re going to California in the morning?” I asked. That was a little…random.

“You haven’t told her yet!” Ashley exclaimed, her hand flying to her mouth. Then she lowered it and glared at Garrett. “I told you to tell her!”

“I was going to do it now!” Garrett said, holding his hands up in front of him like that would protect him from his mother’s words.

“Please finish telling her, she deserves to know,” Ashley said, sauntering out of the room.

Garrett sighed and slumped up against the counter behind him.

“Gare? What’s going on? Why are you going to California?” I asked softly. He looked sad for some reason. But why would anyone be sad when they can get away to California where it’s at least sunny more often than it is here?