4- Odd Beginnings

Pic of Alice on the side. But with big, dark framed glasses.

Chapter Four:

Odd Beginnings:

"Morning Cutie," I said as I came downstairs Monday morning. Alice was chewing away on a pop tart. I'm so glad I'm not her teacher. Six year olds all on sugar highs from breakfast is not my definition of fun.

"Good morning elder sister. How are you today? "Alice asked looking up at my calmly. I stopped in my tracks and turned to face her. There was nothing about her appearance that would explain to me why she was acting that way. She was still the normal Alice I loved, just her hair was neatly braided and she wasn't wearing anything purple. She was also sitting in her chair properly, not bouncing away like she usually did, and her Barbie’s weren’t at the table. That wasn't all that strange right?

"I'm fine thank you," I said cautiously.

"That is good to hear," she said with a smile. But it wasn't her smile. It was as if she was forcing the corner of her lips up into something that resembled a smile. Almost like she wasn't sure how to smile. This was Alice, she did nothing but smile.

"Yeah I guess," I said. "But the day hasn't really started yet, so that could change."

"Well let's hope it doesn't it's a good thing to be feeling good." I nodded again, I still hadn't figured out why Alice was acting so strange.

“Good morning,” Mom sang as she came into the kitchen. She stopped when she saw Alice. “I like your hair Alice, good braiding Bridget,” Mom complimented me.

“Um, I didn’t-” I started.

“Mother do not be silly. I have done my own hair this morning,” Alice stated.

Mom didn’t even think twice about what Alice had said. She didn’t even think it was weird for a six year old to talk like that. “Well, excellent job sweetie,” Mom said giving Alice a kiss on the forehead as she passed to start her coffee.

“I could do your hair if you please,” Alice continued.

“Maybe another day,” Mom said.

“Sister, won’t you be late for school if waste any more time?” I glanced at the clock to see she was right.

I raced back upstairs, tossing the rest of my breakfast into the garbage and gathered the last of the things I needed for school. When I came back down Alice was bouncing around with Barbie in one hand and Ken in the other.

“Bye cutie,” I said as I gave her a hug. She looked like she was back to normal now. She was bouncing, she had her Barbie’s and she was now wearing a purple scarf.

“Bye Bridgey! Tell Gare-Gare I say hi!” she called to me as I walked to the door.

I was 90% convinced now that she was back to normal. She was talking like a robot any more.

“Bye!” I called one last time over my shoulder as I stepped out into the frigid morning air. It was October, so the mornings were the coldest part of the day.

I was barely at the end of the street before Garrett was next to me. We never planned to walk to school together, but it happened every day. If it was him that left first, I would call out to him and he would stop to wait for me. And if it was me, he used his insanely long legs to catch up fast.

“Hey,” I said turning my head to look at him.

He smiled at me. “Long time no see. You just can't stay away from me can you?”

“Gare, it was you that came and found me here, not the other way around,” I pointed out. He just shrugged.

“Alice says hi,” I said at the same time as Garrett said, “Maddy says hi.” It was the same thing every morning.