39- Deja Vu

Chapter Thirty Nine:

Deja Vu:

After my shower in the morning, I had expected Garrett to be waiting outside like he had been the last couple of days, but he wasn’t there. I was disappointed, but not mad. He hadn’t actually promised me he would wait for me.

After grabbing my school bag from my temporary room, I made my way down the hall to the stairs. I was stopped halfway by a small hand.

“Bridget, it’s too late,” Maddy said, her eyes wide with fear.

“Too late for what, sweetie?” I asked politely.

“You can’t change it, it’s too late,” she said again.

“What’s ‘it’? Why is it too late?” I asked.

“It’s going to-”

“Good morning, Pigtails,” Garrett said as he came out of his bedroom door behind me. He slipped an arm around my waist, ignoring the crutch in the way, and then noticed his sister, “Hey Mads.”

Maddy’s eyes went even wider if that’s possible. She started shaking her head making her dark curls slap her cheeks.

“Oh, no,” Maddy said. “Oh no, oh no, oh no!” She said quickly.

Maddy backed into her room and closed the door. I could still hear her mumbling through the wood.

“That was…strange,” Garrett said, frowning at the closed door.

I let out the breath I had been holding. “Oh good, so it wasn’t just me who saw that.”

“’Good’? How is that good?” Garrett asked me. “My sister has gone crazy!”

“I wouldn’t say she’s crazy…” I started. Garrett raised his eyebrows at me. “What? She’s just… She’s a kid! She probably just had a weird dream or something, it must be a phase.”

“Hasn’t Alice been acting weird too?” he asked.

“Yeah,” I said, a bit surprised that he had remembered. It seems like forever since I told him she was acting weird.

“So you think it’s a phase both of them happen to be going through at the same time?” he asked.

“They’re best friends,” I said with a shrug, “would that be so strange?”

“Well it’s not like a princess stage, or something. It’s kind of a…a weird stage.”

“A weird stage? Very descriptive Gare,” I said rolling my eyes. I turned and pushed on his chest. “Go get ready for school,” I commanded him.

“Pushy, pushy,” he muttered as he turned and headed back to his room. I crutched in the opposite direction, towards the stairs.

When I reached the kitchen, Ashley immediately put down the book she had been reading.

“So…” she said, drawing out the word.

“Good morning?” I asked, a bit confused.

“No,” she said with a smile. “Have you talked to Garrett yet this morning?”

“Yeah I have,” I said. I crutched past Ashley to the toaster to make breakfast for myself.

“And?” She asked, turning in her seat to look at me.

“And, what?”

“What was it about?”

“Oh,” I said. “Maddy’s acting weird.”