22- Slobbery Fangs

This is part two of the Halloween chapter! I dont know how I was able to write so much on such a miniscule event... The whole Halloween thing was even in my plot until a week ago. The world is just weird like that I guess. 

Chapter Twenty Two:

Slobbery Fangs:

Later that evening, after Mom and Ashley had already taken the kids out trick or treating, the doorbell rang. This wasn’t an unusual event because it was Halloween, but when I opened the door (since Dad was in the bathroom) it was not a kid, but my immature boyfriend.

“Twick or tweet,” Garrett said in a high, little kids’ voice. He gave me an innocent smile and seemed to make his eyes larger than they already were. He was even carrying what looked to be his pillow case and he was holding it out to me.

“Hey,” I said. I placed the bowl filled with chocolate on the table next to the door and stepped forwards so that I could stretch up and peck Garrett’s lips.

“There’s a haunted house a couple of blocks over,” Garrett said switching back to his normal voice. “We could go if you want? Or if you think that’s stupid there’s a party somewhere.” Garrett sounded unsure of himself and vulnerable, like my opinion would hurt him.

“Haunted house sounds good,” I told him. I took his hand and brought him into the house. “And stop worrying about what you say. I’m not going to overthink everything you say just because we’re dating.”

Once I had closed the door, Garrett leaned against the wall next to it and took both my hands.

Garrett smiled, and he looked relieved. “Okay I was hoping you would choose the haunted house, it’s at Dustin’s.” He gave me another small, sheepish smile. “And now what I say could lead to our break up, so I’m extra careful.” I smile and stretched up to kiss under his jaw.

“I’m not going to break up with you just because you say something stupid. You say stupid things all the time,” I said. After the words left my mouth I realized that in avertedly calling him stupid might not be the best way to make him feel better.

“Oh, wow, thanks,” Garrett said rolling his eyes.

“Hello Garrett,” Dad said from behind me. I didn’t jump this time. Instead I just dropped one of Garrett’s hands and moved next to him so I could see my dad.

“Hey Rob,” Garrett said with a nod in his direction. Then he smiled at me. “Mind if I steal away your lovely daughter?”

“And where would you go?” Dad demanded suddenly going into very protective mode.

“Dustin and his brother set up a haunted house at his place, I wanted to go see if it was any good and then make fun of him for it later,” Dad said with a shrug.

For a moment I thought Dad was going to say I couldn’t go but then he nodded slowly. “Just be back by ten thirty at the latest and keep your cell phone with you.”

“Yay! Thank you!” I said I walked into the kitchen to get my phone from where I had left it on the counter.

I heard Dad murmuring something to Garrett, but I couldn’t make it out because I was in the other room and there was a wall separating us.

“Stay with Garrett the whole time,” Dad warned. That was a new part of the speech. “It’s Halloween, you don’t know what could happen.”

“I will,” I promised.

“Sweet,” Garrett said to himself. I guess he was happy he could stay close to me all evening and my dad couldn’t get mad at him.

“Then have fun,” Dad said.