31- Mumbled Apologies

Chapter Thirty One:

Mumbled Apologies:

The aftershocks hadn’t stopped for more than a couple minutes before the screaming started. But this time, the screaming wasn’t in fear, or at least not fear of the earthquake.

“Bridget!” It was faint and I didn’t know where it was coming from. I heard banging, like things were falling again. I started to tremble with fear, but then I heard the footsteps and I realized someone must be moving things so that they could also move.

“Bridget!” It was a little closer –louder- now.

I hiccupped in my attempts to calm myself down, I ended up drowning out the voice in the process. I sucked in my breath and strained my ears so I would hear them again.

“-et, answer me!” I heard. I realized it was Garrett. What was he doing here?

I tried to call out, but my throat tightened in the attempt. I hiccupped again and another tear escaped from my eye, but I wasn’t shaking anymore.

“H-here,” I let out faintly. I cleared my throat and tried again. “I’m here.”

I didn’t hear his voice anymore, but his footsteps got louder. I tried to figure out where he was by the sounds of his foot falls, but I was lost because he must have kept having to step around things that were in his way.

Suddenly the door handle of my room rattled and I jumped where I was sitting. My shoulder rammed into the desk leg and I shut my eyes against the pain.

“Bridget? Are you alright?” Garrett asked. He sounded genuinely worried, but I guess anyone would be towards someone else after an earthquake. I also noticed that he was still out in the hallway talking to me through the closed door. I realized that my dresser had fallen over and was stopping the door from being opened.

“Ye-yeah,” I said shakily.

There was a bang and I flinched from the noise. I realized that it was Garrett banging on the door.

“Can you move?” Garrett asked.

I tried to move myself so I could stand, but as soon as I put my right hand on the ground to push myself up, pain laced through my fingers. It wasn’t sprained or anything, just...tweaked.

“No,” I said miserably. Why was I just so useless all the time? Why wasn’t I able just to do things on my own?

Garrett mumbled something and I wasn’t able to catch it. But I had a feeling it wasn’t very pleasant. “Okay, just stay there,” Garrett told me. I didn’t really have a choice.

“No, no, I’ll find a way to move,” I assured him. I was the one who got trapped in the room, I could get myself out. Besides Garrett was on the outside, there wasn’t much he could do from there.

“No Bridget!” Garrett yelled. “You are staying where you are! You’re already injured I don’t want you getting hurt more!” he said angrily. My eyes widened at the harshness of his tone.

“I can-”

“Don’t. Move. Bridget,” Garrett growled out lowly. I was surprised I could even hear him through the door. I wish I hadn’t though. He sounded…scary.

“What am I supposed to do?” I asked. I felt even more useless now. I had got my own leg broken, trapped under my desk, and now stuck in my room unable to move and I was asking his for help even though he couldn’t see the exact situation I was in. I was the definition of helpless, stupid, teenage girl.

“Rob! Penny! Bridget’s trapped in her room!” Garrett called out. “I’m going to get her out!” I didn’t hear my parents’ response because then Garrett started banging on my door again. That’s what it sounded like, I don’t know what he was actually doing or planning on accomplishing. The door wasn’t going to magically just pop off the hinges to allow Garrett into my room.