fifty three

I didn't get any teriyaki sauce or fried rice on my dress, so I considered that a good start to the night. David was very touchy all night, not in a creepy way, but at least one of his hands was touching one part of my body at every time of the night. I wasn't sure if he was trying to claim me, since he really didn't like the way Todd talked to me earlier, or if he was just really excited to see me. Either way, I went along with it.

The dinner was good and simple and easy. We made fun of each other like usual, but this time, Olivia stared on in shock and confusion. The cook asked who was my date, and when David raised his hand with a confident smirk, the cook told him he was a lucky, lucky man. David looked at me with a smile and nodded his head, assuring the older man that he knew.

The enchanted forest theme of prom was not very well represented through the auditorium, except for the fairy lights strung carelessly above us. Everything else was pretty minor: green and pink uplighting, a few fake trees sprinkled here and there, and baby pink rose petals littering the floor.

"It's pretty," I told David with a smile when we walked in, squeezing his hand. "Feels like a fairytale."

"If it's a fairy tale, you're the princess," he smiled sweetly, then straightened his black bowtie cockily to say, "I guess that makes me Prince Charming."

"In your dreams," I giggled, laying my head on his shoulder. "Todd's the only Prince in my life."

"You're right. I'm King."

It was the way David said it that told me he really meant it. The closer Todd and I got, the more David felt that he had to be superior to him in every way possible. It wasn't a joke when David said it. It was real life.

I awkwardly laughed and changed the subject, "Let's go find the punch and see if anyone has spiked it yet."

No one had spiked it until David pulled the stainless steel flask out of his pocket and dumped the contents in, completely casual and open yet still undetected. It wasn't enough to really taste it in the medium sized bowl of punch, but it was enough to feel it after a few cups. I only took one, knowing I didn't want to make a fool of myself in front of everyone watching us to see the magic of the night.

Everyone and their mothers had their eyes locked on David and I, waiting to see our next move. Even the chaparones seemed to be interested in us. It was like everyone knew, and no one minded staring.

"Come dance," David instructed me, glancing around the crowded room. "Let's give them something to talk about."

I rolled my eyes at his drama but followed him out to the edge of the dance floor anyway, just as the song switched to A Thousand Years. It couldn't have been more cliché, but I'd be lying if I said it didn't make my heart race. David grabbed me by the hips, and I wrapped my arms around his neck. We left no room for Jesus.

"You look very pretty in your suit, David," I told him earnestly, using one of my hands to gently sweep away the eyelash resting on his cheek. "I knew you would. You just seem like the kind of guy who'd be pretty in a suit."

"I'm pretty in everything," he joked, but in my head, I had to agree. David was pretty in everything. Sweatpants to tuxedos, he made it work for him. "I don't deserve you, Mona."

"Hmm?" I frowned at his words, looking to his eyes that looked sad, for some reason, on what was supposed to be one of the best nights that high school had to offer.

"You are the perfect person," he sighed. "The absolute perfect person. I have never done anything right in my life. You are so good, even when I screw you over."

"Are you breaking up with me?" I created a bit of distance between us. "Because if you're breaking up with me right here, right now, that would be a dick move. It would be unforgivable."

"I'm not breaking up with you," he half laughed, pulling me back in. "I just love you. I've done a lot of bad things, and you haven't questioned them. I mean, I took your virginity and you've never even asked how many girls I've slept with."

"Not relevant," I shrugged honestly. "People do things. You aren't twelve, and I'm not your mom. Knowing everyone you've slept with would probably just make me cry, so I'd rather just not think about it. It's in the past anyways."

"It's only four people," he told me very sincerely. I didn't know what it was about the night that made David want to spill his secrets, but I wasn't going to fight him on it. "I'm sorry."

"David, believe me when I say it is nothing to be sorry about," I reassured him, placing my hands on his cheeks. "It was before you met me, right? You never could've known that the most amazing, sexy, talented and stunning girl on Earth was about to discover her dead father and then move to Vernon Hills. It's not on you, okay? Nothing before me is on you."

"Right," David nodded, allowing me to kiss him on the lips very quickly.

"I love you."

"Sweetheart," David started with a lazy, crooked smile. "I'd regret it for the rest of the night if I didn't tell you you're the love of my life."

I blushed, ducking my head down so he couldn't see my beaming smile and red cheeks.

There, in the midst of sweaty, dressed up, and grinding teenagers, David and I slow danced to every single song and fell in love all over again. The people around us left us some space as if they knew it was a monumental night for us, tradition or not.

"Can I have your attention, please?" Mo Bamba was cut short and replaced by our principal, a very birdlike woman with skinny hands and beady eyes. Dr. Proctor was terrifying. "If I could get all the students on prom court up to the stage right now, we'll be reading off the winners of tonight's prom king and queen."

David and I shared a look, took a much needed deep breath, and made our way to the stage.

my baby never fret none
about what my hands and my body done
if the lord don't forgive me
i'd still have my baby and my babe would have me

is hozier not incredible at making lyrics that make u feel the intensity of infatuation and love like UGH i love him

thank u for being patient!! my vaca was so fun and much needed!! heres a cute chap for u all xoxox abby