fifty seven

"Oh my god, you're pregnant!" was the first thing out of my mouth the second Emily came prancing out the front door, the not big, but not small bump accentuated by her tight white t-shirt. "You're pregnant! David, she's pregnant!"

"I see that, sweetheart," David released his grip on my hip, allowing me to fling forward and give Emily the tightest hug I could muster.

"Hi, Mona," Emily giggled, her auburn hair bouncing off her shoulders as she wrapped me in her arms. "I haven't seen you in forever! David keeps you on lock, huh?"

"Oh, yeah, he's crazy," I replied sarcastically, reaching my hand out to grab David's when she finally let me go. "We're so hungry. Is there food?"

"Yeah, John ordered some pizza. It should be here really soon. Come in! It's hot out here."

"Hawaiian with pepperoni?" I asked, raising my eyebrows. With a smirk from Emily and a nod, I sighed in relief. The Dobriks knew me too well.

As we made our way inside, I took in the sights around me. The house was always exactly the same, but somehow it shocked me every single time we entered. It was so sleek and clean; it looked like every piece of furniture had been crafted just to work in this particular house. Knowing John, I wouldn't be surprised if it was.

"Mona! It's so nice to see you again!" John pulled me in for a hug when we stepped into the living room that the boys occupied.

"Yeah, Dad, so good seeing you too," David dramatically rolled his eyes, and with my free hand, I slapped him on the chest.

"David, I see you at least twice a week. I never see Mona anymore," he scolded his son, finally letting me go so I could hug Sam.

"Congratulations on the baby, Samuel," I smiled, patting his cheek with my hand. "You're a lucky dude."

"Yeah," he smiled, looking over at Emily. "I know."

We sat in the living room and ate the pizzas once they came. Everyone turned their nose up at mine, but since it was a personal pizza, it didn't matter. I ate it all just to spite their judgmental looks. Pineapple on pizza was good. They were just cowards.

After eating, we watched a bit of Hairspray, until Sam and David voted to turn it off because mine and Emily's dancing and singing along was "annoying" and "possibly detrimental to the baby". It was so hard not to sing along to I Can Hear The Bells, though, especially when it annoyed David. It just made me want to do it more. The movie was eventually cut short, and David went to bed early.

I didn't know why he was in a pissy mood, but I didn't let it rain on my parade. Emily, Sam, and I stayed up much past midnight, playing "whisper UNO" (which was really fucking hard) and indulging in the rest of the brownie that John had ordered with the pizzas earlier that night. When they finally went off to bed, I had two options: go up to my room, which I was sure would somehow lead to me in David's room, or stay downstairs and do nothing.

I chose to stay downstairs. David could wait.

I realized I had my bag downstairs, so I did some of my homework for the weekend, including finishing The Stranger and writing a two page essay on why the title fit the book. It was grueling, and I knew my essay was repetitive and borderline elementary, but I was sure it would get me an A, at least. Possibly some extra credit, since I went a little crazy with my conclusion and my essay ended up being almost three pages.

Since it was almost three in the morning by the time I had completed everything, I decided to head off to bed. I was sure that David was asleep, so if he heard my bedroom door creak open, he probably wouldn't ask me to come over to his.

Glancing into his open door as I passed by, I realized his bed was empty.

As I slowly cracked my door open, I took in the sight in front of me: David, in a sweatshirt and boxers, sprawled out across my bed, snoring. The strong smell of my perfume hit me, and at first I was confused until I spotted the bottle sitting next to him on the nightstand. He had taken it out of my bag and sprayed the bed so it smelled like me.

Just like that, he melted my cold heart. Any thought of going to his bed to sleep, just so he'd have to sleep alone, faded away. Any anger I held towards him for being so boring vanished. I took off my school uniform, which I hadn't changed out of yet, put on David's t-shirt that I had stolen, and climbed into bed next to him.

As if on instinct, he wrapped an arm around my waist and tugged me so our bodies were pressed up against each other. He slurred, "I love you."

I was sure he was asleep, so I didn't respond. He knew, anyways.

The next morning, David woke me up much too early by shaking my leg.

"What?"

"No need to be pissy with me, Little Miss Night Owl," David laughed, finally stopping his assault on my leg. "C'mon. I made breakfast. We're going to watch the sunrise."

"You woke me up early enough to watch the sunrise?" I groaned, wiping my sleep deprived eyes. I debated asking him to apologize for the night before, but decided against it. It would only turn into a stupid and unnecessary fight, and why would I want petty David when I could have sweet, breakfast making, sunrise watching David? "Let me brush my teeth and put some pants on."

"Oh, pants aren't needed," he smirked and I rolled my eyes, tossing the pillow at him. He ducked, and it crashed into the vanity behind him, knocking over my bottle of dry shampoo with a loud clang. "John is gonna kill you, sweetheart."

"Yeah, like he'll believe I did that when I tell him it was you."

After finding some flannel pants to wear, brushing my teeth, and putting my hair in a neater ponytail, I made my way downstairs to see what all David had set up, only to find that he wasn't there. Glancing out the back door, I realized he was already on the dock. To avoid having to go back upstairs, I slid on whoever's dirty, crusty flip flops were sitting by the door and then followed the path out to the water.

David had set up on the little table a spread of strawberries, blueberries, frozen french toast sticks, syrup, and a can of whipped cream. "Wow."

"Yeah, I'm a chef," David shrugged confidently, squirting a bit of whipped cream directly into his mouth.

"That's nasty," I scolded, snatching the can away from him as I sat down. "Other people eat that."

"They share my DNA, and you suck my dick, so I think it's fine."

"You're vile," I replied with a laugh, taking a shot of whipcream myself. "Oh, you know what that made me think of? That movie, Vile! God, I watched it freshman year and threw up twice. They grated their fucking skin off with cheese graters, dude. Cheese graters! It was so—"

And that's how we spent our morning, talking and laughing and loving and watching as the sky turned from black to purple to pink to orange to blue.

It couldn't have been more perfect.

Bro he sprayed her fuckin perfume like eye cannot mona and david make me so fucking happy

Xoxo abby