fifty four

The lights were blinding me. I knew the person in charge of the school website (the formal school website, not Abernathy Snitches) was taking pictures of the eight of us on stage, but I couldn't find it in me to smile when I had to squint to even see. Besides, my nerves were eating me alive. I was too worried about making sure I didn't roll my ankle and catapult off the stage to worry about smiling or looking cute.

"You look like you're about to pass out," David chuckled in my ear while our principal droned on and on about how special our night was and how we would remember this moment forever. It felt like she was talking directly to David and I, so I chose not to listen. I honestly did not want to hear what other people had to say about us.

"I'm sleepy," I whispered back. "I need a Four Loko before I go crazy."

"Four Loko makes you crazy, Mon," David giggled. "You need to stick to straight vodka. The caffeine does you no good."

"You just say that because I'm the life of the party on Four Loko," I mumbled back with a smirk. "You've always been jealous that your friends like me more than you."

David's retaliation was digging a finger into my side, causing me to jerk away. Luckily, I could think enough to hold in my squeal. David raised his eyebrows in amusement, holding in his laughter as the principal turned to give me a pointed stare, clearing her throat as she continued, "This year's prom king is... David Dobrik!"

David didn't look the least bit shocked when she read his name out. He confidently straightened his tie as the crowd cheered, our friends going just a little bit more wild than the rest of the crowd. David stepped forward, leaning his head down and allowing the senior class president to set the fake gold and red suede crown on top of his messy brown hair. He turned around to give me a smirk, then stepped a little off to the side when he was directed.

None of the senior boys seemed mad that in their last prom, they weren't prom king. Everyone had accepted it at that point. David Dobrik was golden at Abernathy. It didn't seem possible that he would lose.

I, on the other hand, very well could lose. Everyone knew what junior prom was supposed to mean, which gave me faith many people voted for me, but there was still a voice in the back of my head telling me I was about to be humiliated.

"And now, this year's prom queen is..."

The whole room seemed to suck in a corporate breath, the tense air seeming to affect even the speaker, whose hands shook as she pulled the little card from the white envelope labelled simply with a Q.

"Mona Greene," she seemed to sigh in relief into the microphone, covering up my own. David half smiled as I approached the center of the stage, his eyes trailing up and down my body. I leaned down so the fake, plastic crown could be placed on my head.

It was love. It was warmth, it was grace. It was the faint blush over our cheeks as David and I just smiled at one another, completely in our own world. It was the rose petals that littered the floor. It was sweaty hands and nervous eyes and contentment.

It was the first time I ever truly understood what my dad meant when he said he couldn't live without her. I finally understood how it felt to love someone so much that thinking of a life without them was impossible. Standing there, with the crowd's cheers become white noise and the shiny, silver confetti falling like light rain and David's pretty brown eyes locked on mine, I was complete.

"You can choose the song," he told me, taking my hand to lead me down the stairs and to the cleared out space at the front of the dance floor.

I thought for a moment before heading over to the DJ booth. I realized it had to be perfect. It had to be the most perfect song I could think of, and even if David didn't like it, I would.

When the first notes of You Make It Easy began playing, David rolled his eyes at the country song I chose, grabbing my hips and pulling me in to mumble in my ear, "You picked country?"

"I'm from Texas, Davey," I answered in my most intense country accent.

"You're a country bumpkin at heart," David replied with a small smile, moving his head back so I could lean mine against his shoulder. "I don't know if I can marry a country bumpkin."

"I don't know if I can marry someone from the suburbs, but here we are," I countered with a giggle, intertwining my fingers together behind his neck. "I love you, David."

"I love you too, pretty," David placed a kiss to my forehead. "Sing."

So I did. Not loud, just loud enough for David to hear over the buzz of the crowd in the room. I did hear a few people say things like aww, look, she's singing to him!, but I was sure they couldn't actually hear my voice.

When the song was over, we were still on the high of the experience. David kept me close to his hip the rest of the night, our hands constantly intertwined.

"Zane's staring at us," I mentioned just before we left. He was, his disapproving eyes boring into my soul. I didn't get why he was still wrapped up in it. I had gotten over it. I wasn't going to be friends with them, but I didn't stare when they were doing nothing.

"Who cares?" David replied immediately, almost too quickly, without even glancing in Zane's direction. "You owe nothing to anyone."

"Maybe he wants to congratulate you," Corinna suggested.

"Maybe he's just a dick," David countered, his hand once again gripping onto my hip to keep me in place. "Are you ready to leave, sweetheart? You're sleeping
over at my house, right?"

"Yes, and yes," I answered, leaning forward to press a kiss to his lips. "I'm going to the bathroom really quick. I'll meet you at the door."

After hugging everyone goodbye, I quickly made my way to the bathroom, doing my business. I noticed the door opening, some heels clicking against the tile, and the sink running. When I exited the stall, Liza was standing in front of one of the sinks, washing her hands. I almost bolted out of there, but wouldn't doubt that she would call me out on not washing my hands. She'd probably go as far as to submit to Abernathy Snitches that I chose to lick my hands clean. I stood right next to her and washed my hands.

"Congratulations," Liza raised her eyebrows, her tone not matching the words she was speaking.

"Thanks," I replied shortly, reaching for a paper towel.

"It's so cute how you think you and David are getting married," Liza laughed to herself. "I mean, he probably still hasn't told you, huh?"

I knew she was just fucking with me, so I simply replied, "Are you and Hitler going to go on lunch dates in hell?"

Without waiting for her answer, I twisted on my heel and walked out.

"Hi," David smiled at me as I approached where he was leaning against the wall. He pressed a light kiss to my lips. "Ready?"

"As I'll ever be."

i cant lie i cant lie ive been a kuntry bumpkin recently and thats the cutest song ever
xoxo abby