twenty four

"Happy New Year! How lovely to see both of you!" John greeted us as we joined him at a small table in a very fancy brunch spot in the heart of Manhattan. David and I's hands were still interlocked, but only because I almost got lost on the way upstairs to the restaurant... not because they needed to be. "Sit! How are you enjoying your time in New York, Mona?"

I sat down where he instructed me to, in the seat next to David. I answered, "It's so cool here. I've never seen so many people in my life. It's so different from Houston and Chicago, too. Everyone seems to know what they're doing."

"She was amazed by the number of crackheads just walking around on the streets," David laughed, which was only half true. There were crackheads everywhere, but these were so open with it. We saw at least four drug deals just out in the open, some of them just feet away from the NYPD. Maybe SVU got my hopes up, but I expected the cops to have a little more ferocity.

"Where did you guys go?" David's father laughed. "Stay in Manhattan. Don't get hurt."

"You don't leave Wall Street enough to see them," David told his dad. "They're everywhere. Anyway, how's Jason?"

"As always," John shrugged. "He can't see you tonight, by the way. I'm going to extend your flight so you can have dinner with him tomorrow."

"What about Mona?" David frowned, clearly confused. "She can't fly alone. She'll get lost and die."

"Hey!" I complained. "I knew my way around Chicago, dick."

It was then, when an old man turned around to glare at me, that I realized we were in an otherwise quiet restaurant, and I was basically yelling profanities. I blushed profusely and covered my mouth with my hand to avoid any other mistakes. David looked to his dad as if my outburst made a point and said, "Exactly."

"If you would've let me finish," David's dad sighed. "I was going to ask her if it was okay with her guardians to change her flight. I wanted to make sure she didn't need to be home."

"Very smart!" I smiled at him, just to piss David off a little. "I'll call once we get outside, but it should be fine. They aren't having any kind of New Years parties or anything."

"Perfect," David's dad replied, interlocking his fingers and placing his hands in front of him. "So, tell me all about your trip so far."

So we did, obviously leaving out the PG-13 parts to the story, though David was making it pretty obvious through his smirking and his hand squeezing my thigh. Luckily, John was either oblivious or chose to act that way; he never mentioned anything about last night or what we were doing.

After brunch, David and I did some more sightseeing; we spent a long time exploring Chinatown, sat on the steps of the Met for a while (and took pictures, because it was my only dream to become Blair Waldorf), and eventually we went back to Central Park to just talk and people watch.

We ate ice cream and watched the runners go by, formulating ridiculous and probably nowhere near true life stories for each. We talked about cheating husbands and secret spies/assassins and what kids were getting bullied in school. All in all, it was a pretty fun time, and after we grabbed dinner from McDonald's, we headed back to the hotel.

It was a pretty quiet night. Per my request, we watched It Follows, which I believe scared David a lot more than he let on. When I got up to head to my room at almost midnight, he frowned and called after me, "Where are you going?"

"To bed," I answered in a sassy tone, like it was obvious. It should've been, at least.

"You aren't sleeping with me?"