fifty two

When the doorbell rang signaling the boys were downstairs, all hell broke loose.

I wasn't even fully in my dress; there was a seam on the back where the top connected to the bottom that the zipper always got caught in, and Gabbie was struggling to pull it up while also making sure she didn't rip anything or pop my dress open.

"Oh, fuck," Corinna laughed to herself as she haphazardly smeared another layer of sparkly lip gloss on. "I'll get it. Alex doesn't care how I look anyways. Gabs, you come down once you've got her set so we can film David's reaction."

"If she doesn't come down in five minutes, just call off prom because my dress isn't zipping."

After about a minute more of struggling, I felt the zipper give and the top of the dress become a little tighter. The dress was finally, finally on.

"Thank you Jesus," Gabbie laughed. "I mean, I actually just broke a sweat doing that."

"Looks like you need to get back in the gym," I teased with a light smile. "How do I look?"

Her face got a bit more serious, almost solemn, as she said, "Very pretty. David's going to love it."

I didn't know what caused the mood swing, but I also didn't have time to ask. She was waving me off and somehow sprinting out of the room in her heels to make it downstairs so she could film. After sliding on my shoes, checking my teeth for lipstick, and posing like an idiot for a few seconds, with a sigh I headed out of the room, just to the top of the staircase. "Um, guys?"

"Stay there!" Corinna yelled up at me. It was one of those grand staircases where I could see everyone in the front of the house, and they could see me (... except David, because his eyes were being covered by Corinna, who was on his back). "Um... Alex, you're taller, hold his eyes so the video doesn't have me on his back."

Alex listened to what his "girlfriend" said, replacing his hands over hers and allowing her to jump down (in heels! these girls were mutants).

"Um..." Corinna looked between me and blindfolded David. "Mona, maybe come down, like, three fourths of the way. You're a little slow in heels. I think it'll look weird if you're all the way at the top."

Todd rushed up the stairs to help me down them, mumbling, "You look great."

"Thanks, Prince," I smiled, carefully making my way down the stairs with my arm hooked tightly in his. "The heels are coming off the second we get inside, but..."

"You can't even see them," he laughed. "They don't add. You look really pretty with or without them."

"You look good, too," I reassured him with a smile, patting his arm when I was just three or so stairs from the bottom. I felt a little uncomfortable with Olivia O'Brien, Todd's date, staring deeply into my soul, and even more uncomfortable when I started thinking about how lackluster David's reaction would probably be. Regardless, Corinna was into the dramatics, so with her taking pictures and Gabbie taking a video, Alex dropped his hands.

David and I stared at each other for a few seconds, me with an awkward, nervous smile on my face and him with an open mouth and calculating eyes.

It was as smooth and sweet as honey, the smile that spread across his face as he started casually walking forward to meet me in the middle of Corinna's foyer.

He held me at arms length, as if still looking over me, and said with so much conviction that I believed it to be true, "Mona Sofia Greene, you are the eighth wonder of the world."

And just like that, all was right in the world. Everything seemed to grow warm and calm and vibrant, and David's hands on my arms sent electricity through my body in the best possible way. All my doubts about prom seemed to fade away while looking into his pretty brown eyes. Everything was right. This was meant to be. We were meant to be.

"You look so pretty, Dobrik," I smiled, reaching my hands up to cup his cheeks. "The tux really works wonders for you."

"This is not about me," David spoke with a laugh. His eyes once again slowly and carefully trailed down my body. "You are the most beautiful person to ever be created. I doubt there is anyone from the past or the future that could match up to you. I love you so much."

"David, you're going to make me cry."

"You're going to make me cry!" Corinna yelled from a few feet away, and everyone laughed. The world seemed to start turning again, and I stepped away from David, who I couldn't kiss until we took pictures.

I mouthed I love you to him, and then moved to greet all the boys that I hadn't talked to yet (and Olivia).

"Hi, I'm Mona," I smiled, forcing her into a hug she probably didn't want. Her purple hair was curled and her bright green eyes were lined in purple liner. Her dress was very simple, a high necked black dress with a puffy tulle skirt. She was very alien-like, but in a good way. She looked like an alien that tricked humans into having sex with her and then stole their soul. A pretty, powerful alien. "You look amazing!"

"Thank you," her tightlipped smile showed me she wasn't thrilled to be talking to me, though I didn't know why. We had never spoken and I had never done anything wrong to her. I reasoned that she was probably just shy and uncomfortable being around a group of close friends, just like I was only a few months ago. I knew how intimidating it could be and how easy it was to judge us. "You look good, too."

After some more conversation, AKA me fixing Scott's crooked bowtie for thirty minutes since apparently I was the only one who knew how to tie them while my friends berated me about it being a little off kilter, we headed off to our separate cars to get to the country club and take pictures.

David and I rode alone in his classic Ferrari, the top up.

"Hey, Mon," David reached over, clasping my hand in his. "You really are the most beautiful girl on Earth. I'm very, very lucky to even be in your presence tonight."

"Shut up," I giggled, rolling my eyes at his unnecessary and embarrassing sweetness. "I love you."

"I love you too, sweetheart."

going out of town tomorrow!!! expect less updates!!!! but if there is an update..... and its not very coherent....... just know it will be deleted in the morning lol

xoxox abby