nine

"Thank you so much for having me," I hugged each member of David's family as I was on my way out. "Breakfast was delicious."

"You're welcome at the Dobrik house anytime," John assured me. "Speaking of!"

"Dad," David whined, but his father completely ignored him.

"Once a month, the whole Dobrik family meets at our lake house on Lake Winneford for a weekend. We'd love it if you wanted to come join us next weekend," there was a suggestiveness to his voice that immediately had my head spinning.

The answer was no. All I had to say was, "No, I can't" or "sorry, I'm busy". All I had to say was no. Instead, I said, "I'll have to ask my grandparents, but I'll get back to David with my answer!"

Hope. I gave the family hope. I felt kind of bad about it. I didn't want to date David. His family seemed nice enough, but he didn't. Nevermind the fact that I just moved to town and wasn't actively looking for a boyfriend, I was especially not looking for a boyfriend like David. I wasn't the type to change someone. He was seventeen years old; he could figure himself out on his own.

David drove me back to my car in a fairly awkward silence. I guess the nice streak was over. I climbed out of his Mercedes, told him that I'd wash his sweatshirt, and shut the door behind me.

My grandparents were still asleep when I returned home, so I took a quick shower and changed into some pajamas, hoping they wouldn't know that I hadn't come home the night before. They weren't extremely strict, but they did care about me. It wouldn't surprise me if they stayed up all night waiting.

Luckily, I was in the clear. They asked me how my night was, and even if they knew I didn't come home, they didn't seem to care. I spent the rest of my Saturday baking and preparing for my economics quiz Monday. Oh, and stalking David's instagram.

It wasn't my fault. He followed me a few hours after he dropped me off, though I wasn't sure how he found me. I had yet to find or follow any of my new friends from school (until that day). He had to have been searching my name to find me, which was both flattering and a touch creepy.

INSTAGRAM

liked by kristenmcatee, scottsire, and 437 others

@.daviddobrik: What happens at Alexs stays at Alexs

@.sammydob: more like what happens at davids stays at davids am i right

@.scottsire: @.sammydob what happened at david's?

@.sammydob: @.scottsire someone had a sleepover!

@.daviddobrik: @.scottsire @.sammydob allegedly

@.sammydob: should we ask her??

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN LIMITED