forty two

"Mona!" Corinna cheered as soon as she spotted me, double fisting Four Lokos for my own sanity. "Have you met Brandon? He's so nice!"

Corinna was clearly more intoxicated than Brandon Calvillo, and his hand placed on her lap made me just the slightest bit uncomfortable. I looked him up and down and said, "Aren't you dating that freshman, Lacey?"

"Uh... yeah."

"Cool," I replied sarcastically. "Run along, then, or I'll have to go find her on the playground and tell her."

Brandon's glare didn't go unnoticed, but he did leave Corinna, Todd and I alone, which was exactly what I wanted. She jumped down from her seat on the counter and pouted her lips out at me. "Mona! I was totally gonna get some just now!"

"He's a creep," I turned my nose up at his retreating figure, then leaned in to hug her. "Gabbie is on David's lap... again."

Her eyes widened in shock, but she seemed to calm herself down. "Oh, yeah! You weren't supposed to be coming, were you? David said you were sick."

"David says a lot of things he doesn't mean," I replied with a roll of my eyes. "I'm here with Todd. Not David."

"Does he know you're here?" Corinna looked nervously towards the couch. They weren't kissing or anything, just talking, but still. She was practically grinding on him.

"No," I sighed, taking another sip of my drink. "He'll know when I pepper spray him."

"Are you gonna tell him you're here?"

The anxiousness in Corinna's voice told me something was up. Clearly she was worried he was going to do more than just sit with her, especially since he didn't know I was even in the vicinity.

"Is he drunk?" I asked her, staring at him laughing at something she said. I never knew Gabbie to be so funny, so he had to be under the influence of something.

"He smoked," she shrugged, and I nodded, grabbing Todd's wrist and dragging him towards my idiot boyfriend, despite his protests of hey, why do I have to go!?

David did seem shocked to see me, but not necessarily guilty about his close proximity to Gabbie. He squinted at me, as if trying to figure out if it was really me, and then said, in a completely casual and calm tone, "What are you doing here?"

"Hanging out with Todd," I gestured awkwardly toward Todd. I realized then, maybe, that David didn't care. He really didn't care who I was with or why I was here, as much as I wanted him to. He was high and with his best friend. He didn't care about me.

"I saw your Instagram picture. You look pretty."

I couldn't tell if it was a dig at me (since the picture was clearly @ him), or if he was just being nice because he was high.

"Thanks," I nodded. "Um, we are gonna go... mingle. Bye!"

With a regrettable wave, I dragged Todd away towards Scott, who was talking to a tall white guy with a pink durag on his head.

His name was Dom Zeglaitis. He had graduated two years ago, but for some reason still came to high school parties, probably because he chose to forgo college and instead take up weed dealing. It was shocking to me that someone who went to the best private school in the state of Illinois and one of the best in the country chose to skip out on college, but hey... we can't all be geniuses.

He was actually pretty nice and funny—when he wasn't staring down my dress and making passes at me. He offered me weed a few times (at a discounted rate because, and I quote, my titties were big), but other than that, he was pretty normal. He didn't seem like he'd fit in with the Abernathy crowd, but then again, anyone with access to drugs or alcohol would fit in with the Abernathy crowd.