thirty seven

"Good afternoon, sweetheart," David cheered, yanking open my curtains to let the sunlight stream in. I was sure he was exaggerating about the whole afternoon thing, but after clicking the home button on my phone, I realized he was right. It was almost one o'clock.

"Why are you waking me up on my one day off?" I glared, wiping some of the dried drool off my face.

"You have been working for two weeks straight, I've only seen you for two hours at school every day, and you think you're going to sleep away the one day we have to hang out together?" he frowned like I was an idiot. "Get up. We're going to see a movie."

"I'm sleepy," I replied, letting my hand fall back into the comfort of my pillow, which was positioned perfectly after an entire night of tossing and turning. My new diet (which consisted mostly of plain iceberg lettuce and chugging cups of water) coupled with my new job was really wearing down on my body. I was physically exhausted, and I had been sleeping since ten the night before. "Can't we just lay here? I would like you much better if you just let me lay here. If I lay here..."

"You know, the singing doesn't do much to convince me, even though you are amazing," his addition was sarcastic, as I clearly wasn't trying to sing well. "You've never sang for me. Like, actually sang. Can you?"

"Right now?" I frowned, sitting up on my elbows. "Are my grandparents home?"

"No, they were leaving to go to the grocery store and the bank when I pulled up. I've been sitting in your bean bag for twenty minutes, but you never woke up. Sing for me!"

"Are we really going to see a movie?" I asked, trying to change the subject. It wasn't that I thought I was a bad singer, but I had never been so vulnerable in front of anyone other than my mom. Singing was an art form just the same as writing or painting. Some artists never show anyone their work for fear of being judged.

"If you get your ass up to get ready before two thirty, we are," he replied, leaning against my wall. "But you have to sing."

"I'm hanging out with Todd at seven, so we'll be back before then, right?" I scratched my head, still trying to change the subject.

"You're hanging out with Todd?" David raised his eyebrows. "What do you mean?"

"What does it sound like, dummy?" I countered with an exaggerated eyeroll. "I'm just going over to his house, and I'm gonna suck his dick—"

"Hey!" David frowned. "Not even funny. I taught you everything you know."

I raised my eyebrows, glaring at him until he apologized. "Thank you. Anyway, I'm just going to his house. Normal friend things. Nothing to get jealous over."

"I'm not jealous," David scoffed, like it was offensive that I'd even think that. "You don't think it's a little weird to be hanging out alone at a boy's house when you have a boyfriend?"

"So when Gabbie came over last Tuesday while I was at work it was fine, but when it's me hanging out with someone, there's a problem," I replied. I really wasn't mad about David hanging out with Gabbie; she was his friend, and she was here first. I understood they were close. I just wanted to distract him. "Todd and I are friends. I can't just hang out with you all the time. I have to get ready if we're going to a movie."

"Not before you sing," David replied with an easygoing, but devious smile on his face. "You didn't think I forgot, did you?"

I huffed, rolling my eyes and climbing out of bed. After tying my robe around my waist, I motioned for David to follow me out to the living room, where my grandma's old piano was pressed against the wall. It was just slightly out of tune, but so is my singing when I just wake up, so I didn't think it would matter. "Don't bully me, you little demon. You asked for this."