fourteen

It was dark and smoky in Trevor Aldrich's basement. The air felt thick, and corner to corner, the room stank of the pungent smell of weed. The lights were low, and the room was filled with teenagers drinking, smoking, talking, and dancing.

It was much different than Alex's party. Alex's party was huge, yes, but felt a lot cleaner and much less illegal. This dingy basement with stained white carpet and a few gray couches here and there seemed much more like a drug den than Alex's. It was also a stark contrast to the upstairs, which seemed just as nice and as big as David's lake house. I had to wonder if his parents were here; the smell of pot alone could've woken them up, no matter what floor they were on. Did they even care there were thirty people in their basement getting cross faded?

"I'm gonna go grab us some drinks. I'll be right back, okay? Don't follow me. Stay here," David placed his hand on the small of my back as he made his exit towards a closed off room with one of those double acting doors like from Full House, that opened both ways with just a push. From the glimpse I got of the bar area as he disappeared into it, I knew why he didn't want me to follow. A girl was leaned over the counter, a finger pressed against one nostril. Pot wasn't the only drug at this party, apparently.

It took David more than a few seconds to grab our drinks, so I leaned against the wall near the stairs in an attempt to make myself look preoccupied. I found myself begging with God for David to return, just so I wouldn't be approached by some of the people that surrounded me before he came back. It was no use.

"I've never seen you around here before," were the first words that left Trevor's mouth. Though he hadn't said his name yet, I knew it was him, just by the way he carried himself. He was my height, or maybe just a touch taller, with black hair gelled into a quiff and greasy cheeks. His lips were plump but chapped, pulled back into an off-putting smug smile. "I'm Trevor, by the way."

"Yeah, um, I'm new," I awkwardly replied, trying to sound peppier than I was just so I wouldn't appear scared. "My name's Mona. It's nice to meet you."

"We don't get many pretty girls around here," Trevor glanced around the room, which was, in fact, packed with a majority male population. The girls that were here looked like the girls from public school that wear cookie monster pajama pants and fist fight over boys. I wasn't anything special to look at, but I was probably the prettiest one of the bunch. "What do you say we head upstairs? I'll give you a tour of my bedroom."

"Actually, I'm here with my boyfriend," I lied through my teeth. I knew the route I was choosing to get out of this situation would lead to nothing but trouble, but I continued, "He's kind of protective, so."

"Oh, really?" Trevor seemed almost surprised that I could be with any of the sleaze balls that hung out around here. "Who?"

"You probably don't know him," I lied once again, twisting my hands nervously behind my back. I was scared, but I couldn't let him know that.

"I don't see him anywhere. He should keep a babe like you on a leash," his cocky demeanor and the filth coming from his mouth was enough to make me turn my nose up in disgust. "If I don't know him, he doesn't matter to me. Why don't you just come upstairs with me? I'll show you a good time, I promise."

It was perfect timing. I saw the kitchen door swing open in my peripheral vision, and David began making his way towards us. My prayers were answered. "Here he comes now!" I gestured to David's, who reached us and handed me a clear plastic cup filled with a yellow tinted liquid. I leaned up and placed a quick peck to his lips, one that he clearly wasn't expecting. He didn't even try to kiss me back, considering it was less than a second, and when I pulled away, he stared back at me wild-eyed and bewildered.