Chapter 14: Forever Tired

I came down the stairs and went into the kitchen. I dug around the freezer looking for blood. I told mom about four times this week we were out. I looked down at the bandages over my chest and peeled them off. I kept searching for blood but find nothing. My stomach moaned.

"Dad?" I knew he was around here somewhere. I walked into the living room and saw him sitting on the sofa. The tv was on, but I knew he wasn't watching it. Dad didn't watch tv. "There is no blood in the freezer and I starving." Dad got up

"Well you got two choices. You can hunt or you ask your friend up stairs." I looked at my dad. I told him before I didn't have the heart to bit a human. Even if it was only just a little blood, I was too scared that I might lose control and kill.

"I'm not gonna ask Ben for his blood either." I was drawing the line on that. No way I was gonna feed from him. If I did I could possibly be drawn to his blood if he got hurt. Dad laughed.

"What?" I asked him.

"Nothing, your thoughts are just funny." I shook my head.

"It's not much fun if I can't hear what you're thinking." This was one thing I never knew how to do. Some of the natural abilities I should have, I didn't know how to use.

"I'll show you, but you need some blood in you for this to work. Which is why you need to go wake your friend." I rolled my eyes. I turned and went to get Ben. I went in my room saw him face down on the sofa snoring.

"Ben?" I shook him carefully. He turned over and looked at me.

"That shit looks painful." He sat up and looked at his phone. I guess he wanted to know what time it was. "You need me to get your dad?"

"No, but I do a favor from you." Ben tilted his head side ways.

"You right eye is glowing." He pointed out. I must have been hunger then I thought. "What is it cause I was dreaming about eating the worlds biggest donut." Shocker.

"I need you to get me some of your blood." Ben looked at me. It was like I just asked him could I borrow a CD or a game. His reaction wasn't what I had expected.

"Yeah, let me put some pants on." Ben slipped his pants on.

"Did you not hear what I asked you or are you half awake?" He looked half awake to me.

"Dude, you ask for my blood. I'm tired not retarded." I looked at him. We both went back downstairs where dad has his stuff set up. "You sure we should do this in the living room Mrs. H might lose if blood gets on the couch."

"You're right, I don't want to get that look she gets when she is mad." I told him. Dad grinned.

"You mean the one where it looks like her eyes are gonna ripe throw your soul?" I smiled at Dad. "Yeah, I got the look once when I left her a prom by accident." I could see dad was having flash back.

"Mr. H, how old are you?" I see Ben was already comfortable being around my dad. Odd how my life seemed perfectly normal to him.

"Let see." Dad sat him down in the chair and wiped a spot in his arm. "I was twenty-three when we had Riley. He's almost sixteen, so I would be thirty-eight I am guessing."

"You don't know how old you are?" Dad started to draw the blood from Ben's arm. I was trying now to drool on myself it looked so good.

"Nope, it's not important for vampire's to keep up with their age. About the mid-twenties is when we stop ageing all together. You can force your body to shift to appear in age, but it's take a lot concentration and practice. I can old look as old as I appear now, and I can look to be teenager." Maybe that could be what he meant by "this form."

"How come Mom hates Uncle Darrick?" I had to ask while she wasn't home. I knew she would never say way. Dad chuckled.

"You caught that huh?" Dad placed the first pint of blood table. Ben kept his attention on facing forward. It seems looking at his arm bothers him. "Your mother hasn't gotten along with him since the day you were born. Again the profit thing was a big deal and he wanted your mother to take you to see if you were the profite. Raven saw as them trying to take her child away. Him suggesting that, pissed her off to the point to where she used her powers on him. Ever since then, they have been on bad terms. Tonight was the first time they have both seen each other since then."

"What is Mrs. H's powers?" My best friend ask as if he heard what I was thinking.

"You're a curious person Ben." Dad sat the other pint of blood on the table. "She is gonna have to answer that question when ever she is ready." Dad bandaged up Ben's arm. I took one bag and poured into coffee cup and heated it.

"And your powers?" I asked. I watched the cup spin around in the microwave a few times before I took it out.

"They aren't much. Since I have twin, I can hear what you Uncle is thinking all the time and I can feel his emotions. It works in reverse. Like all vampire's I can hear thoughts, humans too." He shot a look at Ben who looked shocked. "I can't hear your mother's thoughts, ever now then I might hear her thoughts but it's like whispers."

"And you can hear mine?" I took a big sip from my cup trying not get any on my shirt.

"Yeah, pretty much." It really matter wonder what all he hear

"Don't worry, I don't tell your mom your thoughts or anyone. Your thoughts are safe with me."

"How did you do that?" I could hear his voice inside my head. I was looking right at him and never moved his lips. Ben looked at us.

"I'll show you, but it might be hard." I sat the cup down.

"Show me." I don't care how hard it was.

"Close your eyes and relax." I closed them. "Tell me what you hear?"

"Your heart beat, mine and Ben's" Our heart beats were a little faster than Ben's "Animals moving in the forest. Car's driving on the highway."

"No, that's too far. Concentrate on this room, concentrate on Ben" Ben's heart beat....he was eating something, smelled like jelly. " Riley focus." I could hear something else and it was slowly getting louder. I could see something too, he was eating jelly on toast and watching me. I opened my eyes and looked at him.

"What?" He asked looking confused.

"You forgot to do Mrs. Henry's homework." Ben's eyes grew wide. I looked at him, this time he was talking about those pancakes my mom makes. "Do you always think about food?"

"How did you do that?" Dad said grabbing my face in his hands.

"Like you told me to." Dad shook his head.

"No, I saw inside your mind while you looked inside his. It was like you were inside of his body, your weren't just inside his mind." Dad looked at my curiously. I focused on Ben again, I pushed into his mind again. Everything was clear, as if I was the one in chair. I was looking back my self.

"Are my eyes suppose to be this color?" That wasn't my voice that came out, it was Ben's. It was my words, but his voice. Dad looked at Ben then back at me.

"This is amazing, I've never seen anyone do that before. I've seen others use that power to read thoughts, but never like this. It's like you inside of him." I eased myself out his thoughts and picked up the cup on the counter.

"That felt odd." Ben scratched his head. "It was like I was in the backseat of my own mind." I looked at dad and tried it on him. It was completely different, it was a bunch of thoughts racing his head about me. It was hard to stay inside his head, before I knew it it call caught off and I heard nothing.

"Nice try, but you do realize I can stop you from hearing what I am thinking..Push you out of my thoughts." I rolled my eyes. Figures, I shouldn't be surprised. "You two should get back to bed, you still got school."

"Seriously can't we stay home tomorrow? Mom wouldn't know she still working." Dad looked at me.

"Sadly you still have to go.