Chapter 5: Forever Bullies

I came down stairs dragging my back pack behind me. Today was the day, was the day. The day that all kids hate. Back to school. Some kids like it because they get to see all their friends they haven’t seen over the summer. But that’s the popular kids, not me. I only had two friends and  I saw them everyday. I came in the kitchen and sat at the table. The only thing that could make me happy now was if the school burst into flames. To make this morning even worse, my braces were hurting me. I had to get them tightened yesterday and it sucks. Dad told me that my teeth would finish straightening out on their own once I got my fangs. I’m beginning to think they never well.  I pulled dad’s last letter from my backpack and started reading again for the tenth time.

Son,

I  know I’m not sending you enough letters, and I’ll try to send more. As you know I can’t tell you or anyone else where I am. It’s hard being away from you. You and your mother are the best thing in my life. Your mother told me you still haven’t got your fangs, it’s okay just give it time. They will come, and when they do it WILL hurt. Your blood lust should increase by the that time. That is why I’m sending your Uncle Kevin to help you. He will be starting your training as far how to fight, your grandpa will teach you how to control yourself. Now I should warn you, your Uncle is a hot head.  Be patient with him he is going to be your teacher for a while.  He should be there by the first of September.

During your christmas break, I’ll be home. I won’t be home long because you and I will be traveling to go Uncle Darrick’s home. There I might be able to teach about some the natural abilities you should already have. It’s still hard for us to say what is going on with you. We don’t know why you're so late to the change, but then again this is normal. If you start to notice any different in yourself, tell your mom. We need to know these things so we can help you. The next year is going to difficult son, just try your best to adjust to the changes. Whatever comes your way except it. At the sametime in joy things. Being vampire has it’s good and bad sides.  We don’t want this to effect your high school years and you still having that sense of normal.

You starting high school, so this is gonna be weird time for you. Making new friends, find out who you are, falling in love, heart break….At times things will seem hard, but remember it won’t be forever. This won’t be forever, us being apart from each other. I’ve missed so much of your life so far and for that I can’t forgive myself. Your mom has taken on so much on her own. It isn’t safe for me to be around you and your mother. Other vampires might try to hurt you both if they ever find out  we still lived there.  I promised your mother that I would never let her fight for us ever again. I don’t want you two getting hurt. I love you both very much Riley. One day son, I’ll be home.

-Father.  

Folded the letter up. Mom walked into the kitchen holding her coffee cup, smell liked blood and delicious coffee.  I got up turned the pot of oatmeal off. When I turned around I got kiss on the forehead.

“Gross mommy kisses.”  I teased and she kissed my forehead again.

“You are never too old get kisses from your mom.” She smiled and took step back. “Look at you, all dressed up for your first day of school.” I wasn’t really dressed up. I a dark green t-shirt and black jeans.  

“Yep, all ready to learn.” I said sarcastically. I scooped the oatmeal into a bowl and sat at the table. I could smell the sweet cinnamon and sugar.

“I really think you should have gotten a haircut Riley.” Mom touched the ends of my short little pony tail.

“I like it this way, dad has his hair long.” Dad also didn’t have to deal with wild red curls all over his head.  No brush could tame these them.