Tension

When I awoke from my much needed rest, I was on a bed in the infirmary. Bandages were wrapped around my torso and to my surprise, the chair at my bedside was not empty. Instead it was occupied by a familiar, yet not quite friendly face. 

"Commander Erwin," I croaked, pausing in alarm at the sound of my own voice.

The blonde glanced up from his lap to meet my gaze with his own. His blue eyes held as many guarded truths as ever, yet this time it set me on edge. With a huff, I sat up on the bed and carefully rested my body against the wall.

"It's good that you are awake. There is a trial you must be present for. The Jaeger boy, Eren, will be standing trial tomorrow and I expect you to join the squad leaders and I. After all, you can vouch for him if necessary; however, I have a plan."

His words nearly passed right through me uncomprehended until the mention of Eren. The thought of the young boy I had grown to care for gave me the strength to rise from the bed onto my feet despite the ache in my back and head.

"What is this plan?" I questioned stiffly, attempting to keep my face neutral.

"Someone will need to convince the judge and the Military Police that we can control and handle him despite his titan-shifting abilities. I will discuss the benefits of having such a person on our side and specifically in the Survey Corps. Unfortunately, to convince them of any sort of control it may be necessary for someone to prove it in a physical manner," he replied tactically.

"So someone is going to beat him in court," I said quietly, my heart twinging.

"Yes. It needs to be one of our strongest soldiers. I have elected Levi, as he is well respected and I know you would not wish to lay a hand on the boy," he said gently, placing a hand on my shoulder as I glared holes in the wall across from me.

My body twitched under his touch originally, but eventually relaxed into it as his eyes softened. For a moment, the commander seemed nearly human. I could almost sense empathy resonating from the normally distant blonde. 

"Will he be okay?" I choked out, unable to hold his gaze.

The commander pulled my body against his into a comforting embrace as I shook. His response sent a shiver down my spine, but his grip was relentless.

"I don't know."

A small sob almost left my throat before I remembered who's presence I was in. The sound of someone clearing their throat forced me to force my eyes to discontinue their previous watery state and slowly disconnect from the commander.

"Levi," Erwin greeted as the ravenette leaned against the wall beside my bed.

The corporal glanced between us curiously but eventually settled his gaze on me.

"I'd like to speak with Skylar privately," he said coldly.

The blonde raised his eyebrows at the request put patted my shoulder and left the room with only a nod. My legs grew wobbly as the corporal pushed himself off the wall and stalked towards me.