The Cadets

As the months passed, I was able to somewhat recover from my state of near starvation and had begun to train with Levi in order to help my strength return We spent more time together than we had in years, and although the first few days were awkward it quickly faded into a more enjoyable atmosphere. Despite this, I was never able to forget the feeling of his lips against my own but never was able to bring it up for fear of being insulted. Even now as he stood across from me on the empty field we trained on, with a wooden dagger in his hand I was unable to speak of it.

Unfortunately, he took notice of my distraction and had me pinned to the ground in an instant, the false dagger against my throat as he held me down.

"Pay attention," he drawled, his steely eyes holding me captive beneath him.

With a sigh, I stared back up at him tiredly but stayed silent. After a moment, a wicked idea crossed my mind and I leaned up slightly. Although the knife pressed roughly against the soft skin of my neck, I was determined and shot him a sickly sweet smile before pressing my lips against his. As soon as our lips met, the corporal relaxed into the kiss and softened which allowed me to flip us over quickly. I pinned his arm to the grass and watched as a look of shock ghosted over his features.

"I win," I smirked, snatching the knife from his hands before going to stand.

A hand on my back stopped me and pulled my body back against the corporal's.

"Why?" the corporal questioned, sounding almost upset.

I watched as his features slowly changed to display the vulnerability I had brought upon him and sighed, a slight twinge of guilt in my chest.

"I'm sorry Corporal," I said nervously.

My mind reeled as I contemplated the possible punishments that could be dealt to me for my actions, and the silence only increased my anxieties.

"Levi," he corrected quietly, staring up at me with what could have been hope.

I smiled and let myself relax into him, enjoying my body pillow while I could. With a slight giggle, I wrapped my arms partially around the corporal and hugged him before rolling off. Levi was on his feet nearly immediately, brushing off the back of his uniform distastefully before holding a hand out to me. I took it gratefully but let out a squeak when he pulled me to my feet so effortlessly that I nearly fell into him.

"Thank you," I said as he steadied me before releasing my hand.

After a moment of awkward silence, I decided to speak again.

"I'm going to visit Eren and Mikasa. I want to see how far they've come in their training and find out if Eren is still determined to join the Survey Corps. Would you like to come?"

The corporal stared at me blankly but gave a curt nod as I whistled for Tempest who arrived at my side quickly. He was kept in a small pasture now with a few other horses but he was able to leap the fence at his leisure. I pulled an apple out of my pocket which me munched on greedily as I went to jump on only to feel two hands on my waist. I glanced back at Levi and could have sworn he was smirking. With a shrug, I allowed him to hoist and practically throw me onto the horse.

Levi quickly leapt up behind me and snaked his arms around my waist just in time as Tempest set off in a lazy lope. No words were spoken between us as we traveled, but I felt oddly comfortable in his arms. When we reached the facility in which the cadets were trained, Levi hopped down first and waited for me as I followed suit before leaving my horse to graze.

"You're strangely quiet today Levi, did I render you speechless," I teased as we walked towards the practice poles for maneuver gear where Eren and a few other cadets were being hooked up.