Humanities' Strongest

The corps had returned to the barracks after giving what was left of our comrades' bodies to their mourning families. The training schedule returned to normal in less than a week, but all of the members were no longer full of vigor. We were solemn and quiet throughout the competitions, a stark contrast of our previous competitive nature. I had spent most of my time training Tempest which allowed me to keep my mind occupied. Levi had been in his room for most of every day, only coming out for meals twice a day which he would quickly eat before returning. Hanji seemed to be the only member who was still positive and excited as she continued her strange experiments on anyone unfortunate enough to allow her. It was not long before I wanted to return to my family and visit with them once more.

When we sat down for dinner on a rather chilly night, I watched the captain's table closely. Steel grey eyes captured my gaze and held it throughout the meal, only to release me when Erwin spoke to him. Shaking off the enchantment, I ate the bread half heartedly and watched as the corporal pushed himself to his feet and headed out, leaving his meal uneaten. As I went to stand, Erwin's blue gaze locked onto mine. He gave me an understanding nod and gestured in the direction Levi had disappeared in. My arm crossed over my chest to rest my fist on my heart in a salute before I grabbed a loaf of bread and chased after the corporal.

"Corporal!" I shouted as I watched his small form disappear behind the door of his room.

My breathing was slightly labored as I approached the door, but steadied by the time I raised my fist to tap against it. The sound of approaching footsteps signaled his approach before he swung the door open.

"What do you want?" he snapped, making me step back.

His confrontational manner caused me to lower my gaze to the stone floor glumly as his glare diminished my confidence.

"Sorry Corporal, I noticed you did not finish your meal. Well, you haven't been lately so I thought-" my voice trailed off as I heard him take an aggravated breath. My own breathing slowed to a stop as I shrank under the Corporal's harsh gaze.

When a hand reached out and rested on my shoulder, I flinched and snapped my gaze up to meet Levi's. The man retracted his hand as though he had been burned and stepped back, his face now a blank slate.

"Thank you," he said, holding his hand out.

I shakily brought the bread to his hand before calming myself and smiling up at him. Before he could turn and close the door, I wrapped my arms around him loosely, burying my face in his chest. His body went rigid at first, but soon relaxed into the embrace before returning it.

"Come in?" he offered, uncertainty laced in his tone.

I nodded and released him before following him into his room cautiously. The corporal sat tiredly on his bed and ate the bread quietly as I stood awkwardly.

"Are you ok?" I blurted, making the man glance up at me curiously.

"Why are you standing?" he questioned, never breaking eye contact.

I shrugged and kicked off my boots before sitting on the mattress beside him. The stoic corporal's gaze followed me the entire way as he continued to eat. The awkwardness of the situation made me shift uncomfortably.

"I'm sorry," he said under his breath as he placed the bread down and wrapped an arm around my waist.

My breathing quickened as a faint, nearly unnoticeable blush found its way onto Levi's face. His eyes held my own as he pulled me closer to him, watching closely for any reaction. My gaze soon escaped the corporal's and fixed upon his soft lips. I could not help but notice how his challenges in the Survey Corps had made his body more muscular than before, while still keeping its lithe shape. When I forced my gaze back upon his eyes, they had clouded with an indiscernible emotion, as most of his emotions were.

"Damn it," he groaned, leaning in and capturing my lips with his own.

Surprisingly, I responded almost immediately. Our lips moved together slowly, testing the waters. Despite his hesitance, it was not long before I felt his tongue flick out against my bottom lip. My body froze for a moment, causing the corporal to push me away and jump back as though he had been stung.

"I'm sorry. You need to go," he said, softly at first but it had turned into an order by the end.

Unfortunately, I could not disobey an aggravated corporal.

A/n: Short chapter for tonight. Unfortunately, after losing his friends Levi isn't so ready for commitment.