Chapter 41

"E-excuse me?" Jennie was about to laugh for a second, before contemplating her friend's more than serious expression.

"You heard me." Jimin simply said, his stoic face now showing an uncomfortable smile. "Seriously Jen, don't tell me you hadn't seen this coming. I mean, you've known for a while how I felt toward you."

She didn't. At all.

Of course, she was aware of her popularity amongst other male students, but Jimin was different. He was one of the few people who she knew she shared a genuine and completely platonic relationship with. Or at least until now. And that felt weird.

"Jimin." She responded after a while, sounding now as equally uneasy as her interlocutor. "I don't...see you that way."

She paused for a moment, afraid she might have hurt the boy. She had turned down so many confessions before, but this time, the stakes were different. She didn't want to lose one of her most precious friends.

Only, as if those words had sparked something inside of him, Jimin suddenly appeared more decided, making Jennie's eyes grow wide.

"Of course you don't!" He argued. "You've never even tried to see me that way. Look, I know you don't feel anything for me now, but that doesn't mean there are no chances of us happening. You might just need to give it a shot."

The more he talked, the less confident he sounded and the more pleading he looked.

"Go out with me." He asked once more. "One date. Forget the way you already see me and let me try to court you. If you really hate it, I promise we'll come back to being friends like before. Please Jen..."

The brunette was at loss for words. This was happening way too fast. She was torn. Jimin's feelings made no sense to her, but arguing about them didn't either. What mattered now was the answer she was about give him.

"What will happen if I say no?" She carefully asked after a while. And to her surprise, the boy let out a soft smile.

"Nothing. This isn't some sort of negotiation. Just a demand. We'll still come back to what we were not matter what. And I'll make sure to get over it some day." He said, but instead of reassuring Jennie, it only made her feel guilty.

Jimin had been nothing but dedicated and loyal to her since the first time they met; the elections were one of the many examples of it. And the only time he was asking for something that important to him, she was out here, trying to preserve herself as much as possible.

One date.

She knew there wasn't going to be anything more after that. But the least she could do, was play along and give him the answer to the question he had apparently been holding for God knows how long.

"Alright." She finally said. "I'll go on a date with you, although it will have to be the weekend after. I have a lot planned in those next two weeks."

As she was speaking, she could see her friend's face lit up of joy.

"And also," she added, dead serious, "no words of that to anyone."

"Of course!" He nodded enthusiastically. "We don't have to rush, I'll make plans in two weeks then."

Jennie nodded as well, a forced smile plastered on her face as she left downstairs. 

She knew she had made the right choice, but despite everything, she couldn't help but cringe at the idea of going out with the boy, who she had known for almost a decade now.