Chapter 3

"Mademoiselle."

Jennie turned to face her teacher as she was packing her belongings.

"Here is the list of the books we'll read this year, could you bring it to the bookstore please ? I have an emergency and I need to leave now."

"Yes Ma'am, no problem," she answered flatly.

"Thank you very much and see you tomorrow, don't forget to mention my situation if they ask about me at the council."

Jennie only nodded, and as her teacher left, she took a look at the list.

Dangerous liaisons, Choderlos de Laclos

Micromegas, Voltaire

Antigone, Jean Anouilh

"Wow", she thought, "these must be way more complicated compared to the ones from last year. I've heard of all of them, they are monuments of the French literature. Let's hope they're as interesting as they are famous."

She was the last one in class. Gathering all her stuff, she was about to leave.

"Alright alright hahaha, yeah I thought that class was too easy and hope we'll at least read some interesting books or I think I'll probably just show up for the exams. Why do you ask ?"

A quick peek at where the voice came from and there she saw her. The girl who had yawned loudly in class, signaling she was bored.

"Of course she had to brag about it after class, pretentious bitch..." Jennie didn't necessarily have anything against smart students, especially since those were usually very shy and outcasted. But this one was different, Jennie thought, she was confident, too confident. Whether she was pretending or not to be good, her couldn't-care-less attitude had immediately rubbed her the wrong way. She'd better learn her place, or Jennie would have to remind her.

She left the class, heading in the opposite direction of where the two girls were talking. As soon as she gave to list to the bookstore owner, her phone buzzed.

"Girl, where the fuck are you ? We're waiting for you at our usual spot, hurry up!" -Jeongyeon

Jennie smiled as she saw her friend's text. Why should she bother thinking about that other girl ? As if she was feeling threatened by her. That impolite brat was just an attention seeker, and God knows how many tried and failed to climb the ladder of popularity. Whoever she was, she would be no exception in the end.

She went outside, walking in the direction of the Tree.

"Is that her?"

"Damn, who is she?"

"I heard from my friend she was a genius or something."

"Wow, she's gorgeous that's for sure."

Startled by such comments, Jennie turned her face in the direction of those students' object of attention. Her surprise quickly transformed into anger mixed with confusion when she saw that same girl from earlier, who seemed like she was laughing at her friend. 

But still...

After staring at her for long seconds, she finally decided to turn her back on them, heading for the Tree, not without releasing an annoyed scoff.

—————————————

"Who is she." Lisa didn't really want to make it a question. It was more like a thought that had accidentally been spoken out loud.

The other two girls, who had imitated Lisa when the latter had suddenly turned her head to look at the mysterious person, looked at each other, not sure if they should answer or not.

"Judging by her clothes, her silhouette, the way she walks and the direction she's heading at, that was very probably Jennie Kim." Jisoo finally said, going back to eating her lunch.

"She's the niece of the school's director," added Chaeyoung. "Part of the rich, and therefore popular, students here."

"Hmm," simply said Lisa.

She didn't really care about her name or her wealth. In fact, she wouldn't have cared about her at all, if it wasn't by the poisonous stare she sent her a few minutes ago. Also, Chaeyoung's last words couldn't stop replaying in her head, and she found herself becoming curious.

"Chaeyoung, you just made an interesting correlation between rich and popular people here. Why's that ?"

"Well, you see, this college is one of the most famous in Korea and that is mostly due to the fact that it was originally created for very rich people only, in order to produce an elite. But years passed and one day, they finally let any students come, no matter the income of their parents, or the status they had in society. But from that moment, things began to change inside the college's own social circle. The rich students began outcasting the normal ones, keeping the "power" over the campus. For example, you'll never see someone like me or Jisoo be part of the student's council or other powerful administration. Don't get me wrong, it's not like it's a sort of dystopia where the "poor" class is abused by the upper one, but it's just that power often leads to popularity, and it that case it couldn't be more true. Rich kids, or more like normal kids with rich parents, will automatically be conferred the status of popular person, although they represent the minority inside the campus. Do you see that huge Tree in the middle of the buildings ? That's where they go sit for lunch or simply to pass the time, and it is kind of an unspoken rule for us not to go there."

Chaeyoung continued for a moment, insisting that it wasn't as dramatic as she made it sound, and that most rich students weren't bad people. Things were changing slowly but surely. Kids wouldn't be as intolerant as their parents toward people with a "normal income", and someday, this school would probably become completely homogenous and accepting. Hopefully.

"So is that Jennie Kim nice then ?"

"Chae said most rich students." Jisoo finally stepped into the conversation. "She, unfortunately, doesn't fall in that category. In fact, she might be one of the worse."

"As much as I hate to say it," continued Chaeyoung, "Jisoo isn't exaggerating. That girl isn't one to mess with. Being the students' council's president and the niece of the director, she's the most popular here. She also topped every class she had taken last year, getting full score on her exams. But despite her excellent attitude, and charming looks, that girl can be very dangerous, and she won't hesitate to use her influence and power inside the campus to make things go her way"

"She's a bully." Simply said Jisoo. "She once arranged herself to kick the captain of the cheerleaders, Nayeon, out of her own team and that probably because she couldn't support the latter was gaining too much popularity."

"So now she's Stalin or something ?" Laughed Lisa, not really taking the situation seriously.

"Ha. Ha. Very funny." Fake-laughed Jisoo.

"No but seriously Lisa, don't mess with her," added Chaeyoung. "Jisoo and I never had any problems with her, and that's what happens when you fall in line. Just make sure you aren't in her way and your college life will run smoothly."

Lisa looked at both of them. While Chaeyoung seemed to be fine with the situation, she could tell Jisoo was more bitter about it.

It was fascinating how this college had its own social codes and rules, almost like an entire society of its own. College life seemed to be as important as real life.

"Are every school like that?" She asked herself, feeling more and more excited. This was another opportunity to discover new and fun things and she wasn't going to stop herself, whether that pleased or not that Jennie Kim.

"Don't worry guys," she said to her new friends with an innocent smile, "I'm an angel."