Chapter 27

"What is more important to you. Passion or Duty?"

Taehyung turned his head to his left, leaning forward to see his friend but also opponent stand up from her chair. Time froze. Lisa and Jennie hadn't taken their eyes off each other, as if doing so would have automatically meant loosing some kind of implicit battle between the two. 

But the more the boy looked at them, the more hypnotized he became by the scenery playing out in front of him. He started to think that this wasn't about the question anymore. Something bigger, greater and deeper was being created.

At this point, Taehyung wasn't watching two girls fighting, he was experiencing two different ideologies clashing.

He knew how each one would answer the question. Jennie, as much as she seemed to enjoy French literature, would always put her duty as a Student Council president before everything else. As for Lisa, Taehyung still wasn't sure why she had decided to participate to these elections, but he had no doubt the girl esteemed her passions way more than she even respected the prize was currently competing for.

Passion versus Duty.

The conflict between those two notions had been at the center of his life. For as long as he remembered, he had always chosen to live out for his passions, whichever they were, constantly rejecting the idea of taking responsibility of the career path he was supposed to take. But he had changed now, and was finally ready to accomplish what he was born to do, what everyone told him he was born to do.

Fortunately for him, he wasn't the one who had to answer the question. Of course, if that had been the case, Duty would have been his answer, as it should have always been. However, deep down, the same old conflict was still raging, and that bothered him more than he could admit.

He had completely lost track of time as he shook his head to focus once more on what was happening. Who knew how long this silence had lasted. As he looked around him, he noticed that everyone in the audience was staring at the two girls as if they were watching a suspense movie.

This was the final act, thought Taehyung, the moment for Lisa to make a big and epic speech in prose and advocacy of her Passion, no matter the consequences.

—————————————

Jennie was nervous. She had accomplished her part of the job perfectly, but couldn't bring herself to celebrate victory. Lisa had told her that this would bring Taehyung down, only she had no idea how and why. Was the Thai girl about to expose the boy for whatever mistake he had made? Or was she simply going to skillfully influence the whole audience not to vote for him?

She tried to remember the words of her French partner.

"To be honest, I don't think it would necessary serve me, but it would definitely affect someone else, do I need to say his name?"

"This question will damage you and Taehyung? At the same time?"

"Not really the question, but my answer to it. I'm still hoping to pass though, I think I'll be able to handle it. But Taehyung will very probably break."

"I'm guessing you're not going to tell me what type of answer you plan on giving?"

"That wouldn't be fun and you know it."

God, that literally did not help at all! Jennie couldn't even predict the answer Lisa was going to give. Sure, the taller girl would probably rather die than giving up on her passions, for the Student Council president's post didn't even interest her in itself. But there was no point for her in revealing that at that precise moment. Which side would she choose, or fake to choose, now?