Chapter 18

Surprise washed over everyone as soon as Taehyung expressed his request. His father had opened his eyed widely, hinting an almost imperceptible smile, before going back to his serious and usual facial expression, and his mother had simply quietly gasped, bringing her hand in front of her mouth.

Jennie's reaction was probably the most demonstrative one as she literally choked on her water, coughing for several seconds after that.

"So that was her plan." Was the first thought that came to her mind as soon as she regained her composure.

She felt watched by her uncle and aunt but wouldn't look at them, rather closing her eyes, as if not fazed by what had just happened. After a moment of dead silence, Taehyung spoke again.

"I know this might sound surpri-"

"Why?" Interrupted Mr. Kim. "Why now?"

Taehyung took a deep breath, and looked at his father, calm and determined.

"I finally realized the importance of my duty as your son," he answered, "and I feel ready at last to take responsibility and accomplish what I was born to do."

Jennie knew that, if Taehyung would ever accept to honor his role of successor, his father wouldn't need any more reasons to promote him as president of the Student Council, but those words would have definitely convinced him if that wasn't the case.

She felt stupid. Those past two weeks, she had entirely focused her attention on Nayeon, not thinking the latter would actually be smart enough to use her cousin as her main pawn. She should have seen it coming, when she saw him getting more invested during the meetings. She mentally punched herself.

The dinner had finally come to an end, and Taehyung got up to his room, after wishing everyone a good night. Jennie wanted to do the same, but she knew her uncle wasn't done with her, so she just sat up straight, looking at her empty plate as her aunt was cleaning up the table.

"Jennie." Her uncle had ironically never sounded so fatherly than in this moment. "I think this would be a good thing for you."

There it was again, thought the girl. As said before, her uncle never liked to beat around the bush, but that didn't mean he would say things directly either. A habit probably due to his businessman quality. 

She knew what those words meant. She sighed and got up.

"Think about it tomorrow, we'll talk at night." Was all she heard before heading upstairs, defeated.

—————————————

16:25

It had been about twenty minutes since Jennie and Lisa had started reviewing today's passage. Weirdly enough, the study sessions had been surprisingly normal since Lisa had proposed they get back to their usual way of working. The two girls were progressing faster, analyzing sometimes more than four letters during each meeting. They had also signed up for their oral presentation that was suppose to occur in a few weeks, and had already worked on two essays, in which they obviously got the best grade.

All of this helped them tolerate each other a little more, at least in Jennie's case. Lisa had never had any problem with her partner, on the contrary, she liked working and talking with her, often teasing her from time to time. But Jennie slowly grew more accepting of the Thai girl, sometimes even letting out a small smile at one of her partner's snarky remark.

However, Jennie's tolerance could only go on for so long, and there were times where she felt like even one hour was too much to put up with the other girl's antics. Those moments would often happen when both had to talk about Libertinism and erotic passages from the book; Lisa seemed to find an extreme pleasure in lingering on analyzing every dirty comments and innuendos, not without adding some personal opinions, making the brunette sigh several times while trying to hide the light redness that would often creep on her cheeks.