Chapter 15

Song in multimedia: Cardi B & Bruno Mars- Please Me

December 23rd

Standing in the gym of the church, Mike and Jerome shot free throws into the basketball hoop. They were alone and didn't have to deal with a bunch of kids yelling and running around them—at least for the moment. Mike closed his eyes and made shots with his back turned just to see if he still had it. Football was his number one sport, but basketball came right behind it.

"Man, I'm so cold with this shit." He turned forward to see the ball going through the hoop.

"The only reason you be making it is cause you know where to stand." Jerome laughed.

"That's a lie, give me my props."

"Not happening." Jerome made a shot.

"What you got planned for Christmas?" Mike asked.

"Same ole, same ole. Some stupid church stuff. I see you switching it up this year."

"How? I'm bout to be working on Christmas, getting me a nice bonus just like last year." He dribbled the ball and tossed it into the basket.

"I'm talking about you and ya' girl going to Florida. It's a few days after, but it's still for the holiday."

"Oh yeah, that's true. We gotta go to my sister Christmas party today too. It's at seven so after I leave here that's where I'm going."

"That's what's up. Make sure you go shower before the party." Jerome joked.

Mike jumped up to make another basket and as he was about to respond, he landed wrong. His knee popped and filled with pain, causing him to scream a bunch of curse words. With his face scrunched up he took a seat on the floor and balled up his fist.

"Fuck!" He grabbed his left knee.

From a previous football injury, Mike had already known his ACL was liable to cause him some trouble. Jerome heard it pop and he asked Mike if he was okay. He was in so much pain that he ignored him and just sat there.

"I'm done. I can't come here no more." Mike finally gained the strength to stand.

"Bro, you good?" Jerome held his hand out.

"No, son. I told you my knee was fucked up. I'm sorry, but I ain't gone be able to come up here and help you. If I do, I ain't gone wanna sit the whole time. And doing more damage ain't a option." He limped to lean against the wall.

"I ain't worried about that. You gone be straight? That shit popped buku loud."

"I will. I need to go home and put some ice on it or something. If I take some pain medicine I'm sure I'll be good."

"Let me walk you outside. You don't need to go to the hospital or nothing?" They left the gym.

"Nigga, if I can walk, I'm straight." Mike chuckled.

"I'm just making sure."

With a throbbing pain shooting up his leg, Mike went home and popped a couple pain pills. He then showered and put some ice on his knee. The Christmas party Ebony invited him to didn't start until a few more hours which gave him time to rest his leg.

As time passed, the pain slowly went away but he noticed there was a little swelling. Mike didn't really want to go to the Christmas party and this was the perfect excuse. He didn't want to disappoint Ebony so instead he told her to pick him up if she really wanted him there. Once she was dressed and ready, she swung by to get him.

"Lawd, girl you fine and extra." Mike smiled at the sequined jumpsuit and knee-high boots Ebony wore.

"Thank you. And here you are, wearing a hoodie. You don't have a gray shirt or something that compliments me better?"