Chapter 10

Song in multimedia: Ella- Make Way (DJ Chickenwing mix)

Finally having the opportunity to visit his father, Mike and his sisters rode up to the prison together. He sat quietly in the backseat of La'Shonda's car with Tiny riding passenger. With her tank on E, La'Shonda stopped at a gas station before finishing the long drive.

"You want me to pump ya' gas?" Mike took his seatbelt off.

"Would you? Thanks. Buy me an apple juice and a pack of gum, please." La'Shonda handed him her credit card.

"What's the pin?"

"Run it as credit."

"Aight. Tiny, you want something?"

"Ummm...I'll get out." She quickly opened her door.

"You sure? I can grab something real quick." Mike told her.

"I wanna look around."

Mike looked to see what pump they were at and then held the door open for Tiny before walking inside the gas station. He went straight to the drinks with his sister on the side of him. After grabbing the apple juice, he looked at all the gum options, not sure which one La'Shonda wanted.

"Watch me pick out the wrong kind. Spearmint or winter fresh?" Mike pointed.

"She likes the winter fresh. Mike..." Tiny tapped her long fingernails against her purse.

"Yeah?" He looked up at her after picking up the gum.

"I'm pregnant." She gave him a worrisome look.

"What? That's what's up. How far along?" He walked to the register.

"Twelve weeks. You're the first person I told." Tiny replied after Mike started his transaction.

"Ooo, I feel special. Not even La'Shonda know?"

"Nope. I'm telling her and daddy today. I'm kinda nervous."

"Nervous for what? I don't need a bag." He grabbed the juice and gum.

"They bout to be so judgmental. And this is too surprising, even to me. I had to tell you first because you'll be the only one not to get on my head about it."

"Babies are a blessing, it ain't a reason to get on your head." The both of them made it back to the car.

"Thank you." She grinned.

Tiny got back in the car as Mike pumped the gas. Once he finished, he got in and handed La'Shonda her card and items. She sighed because he chose the wrong gum flavor so Tiny took the blame for that. La'Shonda then finished the drive and they arrived at the prison. After going through the regular procedures, they met their father in the family visiting room.

The three of them greeted their dad with a hug and then sat at a round table. Jeff, their father, smiled and was delighted to have all his kids together. Mike hadn't seen his dad in a while and he was really happy too. Despite their constant bickering, they put that all behind them.

"I'm glad all of y'all could finally come together." Jeff spoke.

"Yeah, I finally was off on a visitation day." Mike responded.

"You didn't call off, did you? I be wanting you up here, but I don't want you missing money."

"No, I ain't call off."

"Good. How y'all been? La'Shonda, how the stores going? My baby a business woman. I'm fucking with that." Jeff smiled, similar to Mike's wide, joyful smile.