Chapter 8

Song in multimedia: Trippie Redd ft. Chief Keef- BILAP

A few weeks later.

After missing Kayla's third birthday party, Ebony drove to Hakeem's house with gifts and food for Kayla. Ebony wasn't able to get off of work that day so today she decided to spend time with her niece. Out of all the years she's been an aunt, she never once missed a birthday party until now.

"Where the birthday girl?!" Ebony walked into the house after Megan opened the door.

"Right here!" She ran into the living room with open arms.

"How old you is?"

"This many." Kayla put up three fingers.

"Oooo, big girl. I got gifts for you." Ebony said and Kayla gasped with a smile.

"Hey, Ebony." Hakeem spoke.

"Hey. Where my nephew?" Ebony walked towards the kitchen with Megan.

"In the room. I'll go get 'em."

"Aight. First, I bought your favorite, Kay Kay. Chicken. I got you a small cake for us to share too." Ebony smiled, putting everything on the table.

Kayla clapped her hands with a big smile. Megan broke the chicken wings apart and let Kayla begin eating. Hakeem brought the baby in and handed him to Ebony. Baby Keem wiped his eyes and blew spit bubbles as he comfortably rested in his aunts arms.

"You sleepy? With those la' juicy lips. My baby so handsome." Ebony wiped his mouth.

"He just ate so he'll be falling asleep soon." Hakeem told her.

"Around this time last year Megan you was a month pregnant with my nugget. Keem got his la' boy."

"My brudder five." Kayla danced in her seat.

"Five months, not years." Hakeem told her.

"Yup, daddy." She nodded and Hakeem smiled.

"Damn, Kayla. You getting big, son. You finally getting taller and you just be talking. My baby so smart and precious. Lawd." Ebony spoke.

"You should see her at her ballet classes. I didn't think she would like it, but she's really interactive." Megan smiled.

"She do ballet now?" Ebony gasped.

"Yeah. She was too young to join the dance team that Aaliyah 'nem on, she'll do that when she turns four. But me and Keem signed her up for ballet that's for three to six year olds. It's good for her to meet other kids and to up her listening skills."

"She don't listen?" Ebony asked.

"Ask ya'self that same question. Cause she definitely your niece." Hakeem said.

"So she only listen sometimes. Got it." Ebony laughed.

"I'm bullshitting, she listen. My daughter a good child. I think it's a good idea for her to do fun shit, she a busy body. We sit there with her for two hours and she come home and be ready to go to sleep. It's a win win for everybody."

"Oh, let me show you her birthday pictures." Megan stood.

Ebony grabbed the pictures and awed at her niece and nephew dressed in skeleton pajamas for a fall/Halloween theme. She went to the next picture of them dressed in fall attire and then Kayla's separate photos for her third birthday. With her hair slicked up into a high bun, Kayla smiled as she sat next to a big pumpkin with the number three painted on it. Her little hand on her hip and the crossing of her legs made Ebony proud.