Decision

Liang Xing loosened his hold on the Doctor.

Leaning his back on the wall Liang Xing held his head in his hands. "What can be done?" He asked suddenly very tired. 

The Doctor shook his head. "As long as the Young Madam does not become pregnant, she should be able to live a normal life. I can prescribe medicine for that." The Doctor said as he held his collar together so Liang Xing could not grab him again in anger. 

It should be said that a woman in such times had one role, to bear an heir. A woman who could not, was easily replaceable and just as easily divorced.

Also, in such a world, a woman had a limited amount of power and next to her husband her children allowed her to have a steady foothold.

However, underneath all of those layers, a woman, especially a woman in love, simply wanted the product of her love to be brought into the world and molded with a mother's care

An An would forever be denied that.

Later that night An An and Liang Xing quietly conversed but the topic really on their minds was not brought up again.

One week later the matter could no longer be put off.

"An An," Liang Xing hesitantly called out.

An An stilled her hand and then put down the piece she was embroidering. She looked up at Liang Xing with her full attention.

"Have you thought about what you want to do with Lin Ruo? I can no longer hold the date of her punishment back." Thus far Lin Ruo had been held in confinement but as the Left Minister's daughter that treatment was unacceptable for a protracted period of time. 

An An turned her face away from Liang Xing. "I have thought about it. " She paused and held out a shaky hand to him. She was still confined to her bed and her injuries still had a long way before they were healed, but she could at least move now so with Liang Xing's help she sat up.

"Liang Xing, I still want to meet with Lin Ruo once more." She told him.

Liang Xing's eyebrows rose in surprise. That was perhaps the last thing he expected her to say now that she knew the full truth.

"Are you sure?" He asked completely puzzled.

An An nodded once. "I want to see what kind of person she truly is... In truth I will not deny I would like nothing better than for her to die for what she has done!" An An's words were cruel and candid but how could she be blamed for feeling like this? As a woman she was now completely useless!

"However, Liang Xing I am also very selfish. If I ordered Lin Ruo killed for her crime wouldn't I be denied entry into the afterlife. I would be penalized even more for her actions. If that is to be my end, I want to talk with her one more time and make sure this is truly the best course of action." An An feared for her immortal soul, but more than that she knew what Liang Xing secretly felt. If Lin Ruo really was out of her mind An An would not feel right punishing her, specially when Liang Xing still felt even just a little bit of care for the girl.

Liang Xing's eyebrows climbed even higher. He had expected such reasoning even less. But An An had a point. The afterlife in their culture was very important. If the soul was corrupted it was thought that rebirth was impossible. 

Liang Xing thought for a moment and before long nodded his head. "Alright, I will set up a meeting for you two tomorrow and then you can tell me what you would like to do."