Visiting the In Laws

A little bit longer chapter than usual.

Enjoy~

Serena12195

________________________

An hour later the Ru couple was in front of the Liang residence. The residence was grand and imposing, but the Ru couple did not back down even an inch. This concerned the future of their only daughter!

At the gate to the Liang estate there was a guard with a weapon in his hand. He stood at the ready, his weapon was in a resting position. Clearly the Liang's weren't shy to show that they had the military power behind them. Also, who knows how many secret guards currently had their eyes on the Ru couple.

Master Ru approached the guard first. "Hello, I am Ru Song, and this is my wife Madam Ru, please inform the esteemed Liang's that we are here." He said clearly.

The guard looked at them with a disinterested look but nodded. The guard hit his long weapon on the ground twice, immediately a young servant boy came Running outside.

"Sir!" The servant said in acknowledgment in a slightly trembling yet revering tone.

The guard repeated Master Ru's words and the boy ran back inside to inform his masters.

Madam Liang was taking tea in the garden when her servant girl walked in and gracefully bowed. "Madam, there are guests requesting to see both Lord and Madam." She said evenly.

Madam Liang put down her cup lightly onto the plate. "Who are they?" Madam Liang asked as she took in a breath of fresh spring air.

"They are called Ru." The servant girl said.

Madam Liang's mouth curved. "I thought they would come see me soon. Let them in." She said and then stood up to slowly walk to the receiving room.

Before long Madam Liang was sitting on top of a dais where a large chair sat. She stared down at Madam Ru and Mr. Ru.

Since the Ru's were of lower standing, they both bowed and paid respects first. "Greeting to Madam Liang." They said in unison.

"No need to be so respectful, we are future in laws after all." Madam Liang said as she gestured with her hand for the servants to put some chairs out for the guests.

"So, tell me, what can I do for you today?" Madam Liang asked as tea was served to the Ru couple.

"Madam Liang, this marriage has been a big surprise to us both. Our daughter never mentioned Young Lord Liang to us until just yesterday. As a result, it was not until today when the Marriage Matron came by that we realized how noble the Young Lord is." Madam Ru took the lead since a marriage was technically women's business.

"Is that so." Madam Liang said and sipped her tea.

"As such, we came to meet esteemed in laws and hope to have a short conversation with Young Lord Liang if you do not mind." Madam Ru said.

Madam Liang smiled. So basically, these two Rus were actually here to scope out the Liang family and make sure that her boy would not cause a problem for their daughter.

She also knew that the marriage was last minute business. Even she herself had not heard anything from her blockhead of a son until after the Marriage Matron had already visited with the Ru's. At this point, so as not to embarrass her son and lose face for the Liang family she could only go with the flow. However, it should be said that she was very dissatisfied with the lady her son had picked.

Still, as a mother, she understood the feeling of worry for one's own child, so she was more touched than annoyed that the Rus wanted to question her son, thus she did not deny them.

"Call the Young Master." She said to her servant girl.

Not ten minutes later Liang Xing walked in hurriedly. Looking at the couple he immediately fell to his knees in front of them.

"Liang Xing greets Mother in law! Father in law!" He said as he knelt low on the floor. It was almost like he was greeting the Emperor rather than a family of merchants.

Madam Ru and Master Ru looked on in surprise. Such respect for them who did not even have a small position in the court, it seemed the young man was rather unique.

Wealthy as they might be a merchant was only a merchant. They were lowlier than even the runners in the court. So, it was easy to see with this single move how much he liked their daughter. He was literally throwing away his pride, or perhaps he felt there was no shame in bowing before the Ru couple.

Master Ru was a straightforward man so meeting with such an honest and respectful greeting his misgivings flew away.

"Young Lord Liang, stand up. We are here only to meet you and discuss this sudden marriage proposal." Master Ru said and helped Liang Xing stand up.

Once the boy stood up Mr. Ru looked at him closely. 'The boy has honest eyes and his demeanor seems open and kind.' Master Ru appraised.

Madam Ru looked at his visage and decided he was handsome enough, looked kind enough, had good manners, and was respectful. As for this first meeting the young boy passed her test.

However, for both the Rus the most important thing was that Liang Xing appeared to be extroverted. This was a quality that was lacking in their daughter and caused her to lose many opportunities. Someone who appeared to be of opposite personality to hers seemed to be the perfect match for her.

Madam Ru also stood up and both Rus quietly chatted with their future son in law as Madam Liang watched them while she drank tea.